1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting a chi-square test

1. Jun 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! In the context of a physics experiment about radioactivity, I am asked to perform two distributions (poisson and normal) and run a chi-square test for both of them in order to define which one is the most adapted to the histogram (see attached picture).

2. Relevant equations

##\chi^2 = \sum \frac{(k_j(x) -n \cdot P_j)^2}{n \cdot P_j}##

3. The attempt at a solution

So I've used the equation above and got for the Poisson distribution ##\chi^2 = 13.992##. How do I interpret this result? I've got 11 degrees of freedom (13 bins - 1 - 1 parameter) so I looked in that table: http://passel.unl.edu/Image/Namuth-CovertDeana956176274/chi-sqaure distribution table.PNG
    and I see that ##\alpha \approx .25##. What does that mean? Is that good/bad? With this calculator: http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/chi-square.aspx
    I've got for p-value .77, which seems to be ##1- \alpha##. I'm just not sure just what to think about those numbers.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

Julien.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2016 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's been 40 years since I did statistics so I'm a bit rusty. But nobody has replied yet so...

a) What is hypothesis? Presumably that the data has a Poisson distribution (or Normal distribution)?
    b) Read up on the chi-squared test and "goodness of fit".
    c) Find out what it means for the hypothesis if the p-value is > or < than α
    d) If I remember correctly α gives you the level of confidence so if α was 0.05 you would be 95% confident in the hypothesis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted