1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting a graph

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    I can't post up the graph but I just need some help with general ideas. If I have a position v. time graph will the area under the curve be the acceleration? Also, in an acceleration v. time graph does the area under the curve represent anything? And if I have a velocity graph or velocity equation do I have enough information to determine a position at a given time without knowing any positions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

In a position v time graph the area under the curve is displacement.
    The tangent (or slope) at any point is the velocity (rate of displacement change).
    The area under an acceleration v time graph will yield the velocity across the time interval.
    Velocity is a rate of change of displacement. You can determine a relative position over a time interval, but not an absolute one without knowledge of some position.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?