Interpreting a problem on Frechet spaces (topology)

• Thread starter Mathmos6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Topology
In summary, the subspace topology on U is the usual topology given by a Euclidean norm and U is a closed linear subspace of V.
Mathmos6

Homework Statement

I've been given the following problem:

"Suppose that U is a finite-dimensional subspace of a Fréchet space [itex](V,\tau)[/itex]. Show that the subspace topology on U is the usual topology (given for example by a Euclidean norm) and that U is a closed linear subspace of V."

I feel a bit confused: I'm not sure what precisely is meant by 'the usual topology (given for example by a Euclidean norm)', but IIRC any 2 norms on a finite dimensional vector space are equivalent (to e.g. the Euclidean norm) so am I right in thinking that the question just requires me to show that the subspace topology on U is a topology induced by some norm (and therefore equivalent to any norm on U)?

I suppose to show closure is fairly simple, just play around with bases and limits, and it's a subspace of a vector space so linearity is also trivial, right? So then it's only the first part which I need help with, if I understand everything else correctly - thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsN/AThe Attempt at a SolutionI think the answer to the first part of the question is that, yes, the subspace topology on U is a topology induced by some norm (and therefore equivalent to any norm on U). To show this, let us consider a basis {u1, u2,..., uk} of U and let x be a point in U. Then, we can express x as a linear combination of the basis vectors:x = c1u1 + c2u2 + ... + ckuKwhere the ci are real numbers. Let ||·|| be a norm on U. We can then define a topology on U by taking all sets of the form N_ε(x) = {y ∈ U : ||x - y|| < ε}It is easy to see that these sets form a topology on U, and that this topology is induced by the norm ||·||. Thus, the subspace topology on U is a topology induced by some norm and is thus equivalent to any norm on U.

1. What is a Frechet space?

A Frechet space is a topological vector space that is complete with respect to a translation-invariant metric. It is a generalization of a Banach space, where the norm is replaced by a metric.

2. How do you interpret a problem on Frechet spaces?

Interpreting a problem on Frechet spaces involves understanding the properties and characteristics of these spaces, such as completeness, continuity, and convergence. It also involves using specific tools and techniques, such as the Baire category theorem and the Hahn-Banach theorem, to solve the problem.

3. What is the importance of studying Frechet spaces in topology?

Frechet spaces play a crucial role in topology, as they are used to study the convergence of sequences and series in topological spaces. They also provide a framework for studying other topological concepts, such as compactness and continuity.

4. What are some common applications of Frechet spaces?

Frechet spaces have various applications in mathematics and physics, such as in functional analysis, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of partial differential equations and harmonic analysis.

5. What are some key differences between Frechet spaces and Banach spaces?

One key difference is that Frechet spaces are complete with respect to a metric, while Banach spaces are complete with respect to a norm. Additionally, the topology of a Frechet space is generated by a countable family of seminorms, while the topology of a Banach space is generated by a single norm.