Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting behavioral evolution

1. Nov 30, 2003 #1
    What can fossil and other historical records tell us about ancient species' behavioral evolution, like we interpret from preserved physiology the progression of phenomes with genomes?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2003 #2
    I believe the fossil record is much to limited to give much information in the area you speak of.

Nautica

4. Dec 1, 2003 #3
    "Behavioral evolution"? I have an idea what you mean, but could you define it anyway, so that I can make sure I'm on the same page?

5. Dec 1, 2003 #4
    "Behavioral evolution": the genetically based changes in behavior that improve survival.

6. Dec 1, 2003 #5
    You mean like traveling in herds, or hunting in packs?

7. Dec 1, 2003 #6
    If this is what you mean, then I'd say the evidence for the above examples would be finding fossils of the same species, very close together...perhaps even finding a part of a creature that could serve no conceivable purpose other than in social sturcture (like the resonating chambers of Velociraptors in "Jurassic Park 3").

8. Dec 1, 2003 #7
    That's one great example, Mentat. How about finding layers of improving tools in an ongoing community of proto-humans? Are behaviors harder or easier to prove the more primitive the animal?

(By the way, I've wondered where you got your user name.)

9. Dec 4, 2003 #8
    There is a large wealth of data on Evolutionary Psychology / Behavioral Genetics at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evolutionary-psychology/

Regards,

Niels Bohr

10. Dec 4, 2003 #9
    I'm sorry, Niels, I didn't get much out of it. Maybe you could post a more specific link?

11. Dec 4, 2003 #10
    Well, I'd assume that the more complex the animal, the more complex the behavior; ergo, more (different) hints should be found of their behavior. Yours is a good example, since the finding of newer and more advanced tools sheds a lot more light on the behavior and social structure of primitive humans, than (for example) the grouping of many Velociraptor fossils can shed on their particular behaviors.

The Dune series, by Frank Herbert, played a large role (along with some sci-fi for younger audiences that I read a long time ago, by Bruce Coville).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?