1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting enthalpy on a ph diagram

1. Mar 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    8e02c9.png
    2. Relevant equations

q = w+Δh

3. The attempt at a solution

I fail to understand how they obtained the 3 equations at the bottom. For the first one I understand that q = Δh since w = 0 but why is it h1-h4 rather than the other way around? Also, why does this h1-h4 equal h14 rather than h41? Is there some sort of convention? If yes, why isn't it followed with the next line which is h3-h2 = -h23 ? Similarly, why is Win = h1-h2 rather than the opposite way and why does this equal -h12?

Later on in the lecture it says:

2eecde.png

so now qh = h2-h3 ? So is it h3-h2 or the other way round?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello,

This looks like an analysis of a vapour compression refrigeration cycle.
    If there is no explanatory context, then that's didactically not very good. Good books tend to clearly define what's positive and what's negative, but here it has to be picked up from the context. And the double arrows on the red lines with e.g. h23 are very unhelpful ! They should have used arrows on the right hand side only.

As a physicist I am used to read from left to right so ##\tau_{21}## is the lifetime of level 2 for transition to level 1.

And here it looks like use the same convention: h41 = h4 - h1 = - h14

At least they do it consistently, e.g. : h4 = h1 + h14 and h2 = h1 + h12

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted