Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting Hilbert's Filter through Phase spectra

1. Jan 1, 2012 #1
    So I have been busting my head for quite a while.

I understood what hilbert's transform does to a function.

But I am having problems with getting a feeling for Phase spectra of functions.

Lets consider some basic sine functions.

I know that hilbert's transform adds a [itex] \pi /2 [/itex] if [itex] \omega <0 [/itex] and [itex] -\pi /2 [/itex] if [itex] \omega >0 [/itex].

Considering the fact that the Hilbert's filter is a LTI system, arguments of the input function(their FT) and the argument of the hilberts filter add each other up right?

[itex] arg(G(j\omega ))=arg(F(j\omega ))+arg(H(j\omega )) [/itex]

Where [itex] arg(H(j\omega ))=-sgn(\omega)\cdot \pi /2[/itex]

where G(jω) and F(jω) are respective Fourier transforms of output and input signals.

Let input signal be cos(ω0t).

Its phase spectra is 0 for all terms right?

So if I add that argument of Hilbert's filter, I get a sine, specifically sin(ω0t). Makes sense, that what the transform says.

Let then input signal sin(ω0t).

Its phase spectra is [itex] \pi /2 [/itex] if [itex] \omega <0 [/itex] and [itex] -\pi /2 [/itex] if [itex] \omega >0 [/itex]. correct?

So if we add the arguments again(one from sine and one from Hilbert's filter) we get

[itex] \pi [/itex] if [itex] \omega <0 [/itex] and [itex] -\pi [/itex] if [itex] \omega >0 [/itex].

And that would represent a phase spectra of a -cos(ω0t).

Is this correct?

Is phase spectra of -cos(ω0t)
    [itex] \pi [/itex] if [itex] \omega <0 [/itex] and [itex] -\pi [/itex] if [itex] \omega >0 [/itex].

I am bit numb with the math, so thats why I am asking this.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted