Interpreting regression coefficients

In summary, the person is new to the forum and is seeking clarification on interpreting their fixed effect regressions. They have a simple question about the interpretation of a positive coefficient for the independent variable X and whether it is correct to say that an increase in 1 unit of X will increase the average mean of Y by 0.98 units, assuming all other variables are held constant. The response confirms the person's interpretation and also mentions the importance of considering the range of values included in the regression analysis. They also offer assistance for any further questions.
joshuamiller
Hi Guys!

I'm new here so I apologise if I'm posting in the wrong area but this looks right to me.

So with my (very) limited knowledge of statistics I am trying to interpret my fixed effect regressions.

My question is really simple to ensure that I correctly state what is going on with my estimation.

So if my regression is producing a positive coefficient for the independent variable X of let's say 0.98 at 1% confidence, would I be correct to say that:

An increase in 1 unit of the independent variable X will increase the average mean of Y by 0.98 units (ceteris paribus)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to see someone new interested in statistics. To answer your question, yes, you are correct in your interpretation. A positive coefficient for the independent variable X means that as X increases by 1 unit, the average mean of Y will also increase by 0.98 units, assuming all other variables in the model are held constant. This is known as the ceteris paribus assumption. It's important to note that this interpretation is only valid within the range of values that were included in your regression analysis. If you want to make predictions outside of this range, you may need to consider extrapolation or other techniques.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions about your regression analysis, feel free to post them here and I or another scientist will be happy to help. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a regression coefficient?

A regression coefficient is a measure of the relationship between a dependent variable and one or more independent variables in a statistical model. It represents the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables.

2. How do you interpret a regression coefficient?

The interpretation of a regression coefficient depends on the type of regression model being used. In linear regression, the coefficient represents the change in the dependent variable for every one-unit change in the independent variable. In logistic regression, the coefficient represents the change in the log odds of the dependent variable for every one-unit change in the independent variable.

3. What does a positive regression coefficient mean?

A positive regression coefficient indicates a positive relationship between the variables, meaning that as the value of the independent variable increases, the value of the dependent variable also increases. It also means that the variables are positively correlated.

4. What does a negative regression coefficient mean?

A negative regression coefficient indicates a negative relationship between the variables, meaning that as the value of the independent variable increases, the value of the dependent variable decreases. It also means that the variables are negatively correlated.

5. How do you determine the significance of a regression coefficient?

The significance of a regression coefficient can be determined by looking at the p-value associated with the coefficient. A p-value of less than 0.05 is generally considered significant, meaning that there is a low likelihood that the observed relationship between the variables is due to chance. Additionally, the confidence interval of the coefficient can also be examined to determine its significance. If the confidence interval does not include zero, then the coefficient is considered significant.