Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interrupting ratings

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1
    do air rated breakers still have interrupting ratings?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Yes, of course they do. I work with several types of breakers with interrupt ratings from 22 to 65 kA. It's an important rating for power equipment because exceeding it can cause the contacts to become fused, rendering the breaker useless and putting lives and equipment at risk.

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    I want to thank you for post regarding the interrupting rating because I am currently in a class on commercial electrical wiring and there is a large section on interrupting rating for circuit breakers in our book covering things like how they are tested and the various ways to install breakers in series assemblies with main and branch, but for some odd reason the book fails to detail what exactly happens when a short circuit actually exceeds a breaker's interrupting rating.

I naturally assumed that the circuit breaker would fail in some respect, but couldn't find any reference to exactly what the outcome might be besides a broken breaker. So thank you for your post.

Any more details you might add would be appreciated regarding the interrupting rating and what happens when a short circuit exceeds the breakers rating.

5. Nov 9, 2009 #4

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Unfortunately, Negitron (Michael Bell) died in September.

There was a note about this on this page, but it has now gone.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook