1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersecting planes

1. Nov 20, 2005 #1
    What's the easiest way to make up two equations of a plane that intersect at a line?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

What are you looking for, the equation of the line of intersection? Because "two equations of a plane" doesn't really make sense to me...
  4. Nov 20, 2005 #3
    I need two equations (Ax + By + Cz + D = 0) that describe two planes who's intersection point is a line.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  5. Nov 20, 2005 #4
    Lines which are not parallel intersect with each other. so don't make them parallel. lines are parallel if their slopes are same. so think what have you to change or not to? A, B, C or D
  6. Nov 20, 2005 #5
    I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure how the slope is represented in that form for 3-dimensions.
  7. Nov 21, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How do you generally write the equation of a plane?
  8. Nov 21, 2005 #7

Homework Helper

I'm still not 100% sure what you mean but I *think* you mean that you're looking for the equations of two planes which, together as a system, form the equation of their intersection line (assuming the planes weren't parallel). Is this correct?
  9. Nov 21, 2005 #8
    That is correct! How do I make sure they aren't parallel?
  10. Nov 21, 2005 #9
    Scott: This is pretty easy!

The only thing u do is make sure both bormal vectors are not scalar multiples of eachother..... in other words

if P1 = Ax+By+Cz+D
    and P2 = Wx + Xy +Yz +Z

then to intesect in a line..... [A,B,C] canot equal k[W,X,Y] k is any num

11. Nov 21, 2005 #10
    Alright, thanks.
  12. Nov 21, 2005 #11

Homework Helper

Indeed, so with two planes

\alpha :ax + by + cz + d = 0 \\
    \beta :a'x + b'y + c'z + d' = 0 \\

the line of intersection is given by

[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
    ax + by + cz + d = 0 \\
    a'x + b'y + c'z + d' = 0 \\
    \end{array} \right[/tex]

under the condition that

[tex]\alpha \not\parallel \beta \Leftrightarrow \left( {a,b,c} \right) \ne k\left( {a',b',c'} \right)\forall k \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?