1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of 2 lines

1. Jan 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the vector equation of the line through 4,5,5 that meets (x-11)/3=7+8=z+4 at right angles

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have no idea where to start.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Come on. You must have SOME idea. For example, what does the equation represent? A line, a plane, or what? Try and figure that out first. I'm not totally sure you posted it correctly.
  4. Jan 21, 2009 #3
    it was a question from a test that i got 0 on, the exact wording is as follows:

find a vector equ ation of the line through the point (4,5,5) that meets the line (x-11)/3=(y+8)/1=(z-4)/1 at right angles

i understand that the dot product of the vector i have to find and of the line given will be equal to zero. other than that, im completely lost.
  5. Jan 21, 2009 #4
    i dont know if this makes sense, but i tried to first came up with an expression for the vector i am trying to find

4-(11+3t), 5-(-8+t), 5-(4+t) (starting point of the vector subtract a point on the line)

then using dot product equation, i isolated t to -7/11

is there anything flawed in this logic?
  6. Jan 21, 2009 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I don't think it's quite right. A general point on the line is, fixing z=t. y=t-4 and x=3t+23. i.e. (3t+23,t-4,t). Or did I do that wrong? I would then take the difference between that and (4,5,5) and minimize the distance wrt to t. That would give you two points on the line, yes?
  7. Jan 22, 2009 #6
    Well, from the given question it is evident that the equation which to be found is of a line. Now, the equation,
    [tex]\frac{x-11}{3}=\frac{y+8}{1}=\frac{z-4}{1} [/tex]
    directly gives you the direction ratios of the required line, isnt it? What would they be?
  8. Jan 22, 2009 #7
    it does not give me the vectors to the line...
    there are an infinite number of possible normals to the original line
  9. Jan 22, 2009 #8
    Well, (3,1,1) are the direction ratios! And if this line passes through (4,5,5), substitue it in the general equation,
    \frac{x-x_1}{a}=\frac{y-y_1}{b}=\frac{z-z_1}{c} [/tex]

where, (a,b,c) are the direction ratios and [tex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/tex] is the point through which the line passes!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?