How do I find the intersection of 4D lines?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intersection point of two 3D lines using a general equation and the use of cross products in the derivation. The possibility of finding the intersection of 4D lines is also considered. The conversation concludes with an algebraic solution for finding the intersection point of two lines in any number of dimensions, without the use of cross products.
adoado
Hello all,

Given two 3D lines described by the general equation
[tex]\vec{L(t)}=\vec{p}+\vec{d}t[/tex]

I found a way to find their intersection point, but it uses the cross product in the derivation. I am assuming a 4D line is a valid thing? And can be described the same way? (except with 4 element vectors). If so, how can I find their intersection, as I read the cross product is undefined in 4 dimensions?

Cheers,
Adrian

Physics news on Phys.org
First, of course, two lines in four dimensions, just as in three dimensions, generally don't intersect. Now, because, as you say, the cross product is undefined in 4 dimensions, HOW did you "find a way to find their intersection point, but it uses the cross product in the derivation"?

I certainly see no reason to use a cross product. Given a line defined by [itex]\vec{p}+ \vec{d}t[/itex] and another defined by [itex]\vec{q}+ \vec{c}s[/itex], set them equal: [itex]\vec{p}+ \vec{d}t= \vec{q}+ \vec{c}s[/itex]. Setting corresponding components equal, that gives four equations to solve for t and s.

To find the intersection of the lines

p(s) = a+bs
q(t) = c+dt

where a,b,c,d are vectors in any number of dimensions, and b is normalized,

(q(t) - a) = ((q(t)-a).b)b
(c+dt - a) = ((c+dt-a).b)b
(d-d.bb)t = (c-a).bb+a-c

Thus, the point of intersection is at c + d * {[(c-a).bb+a-c]/[d-d.bb]}, or if the vector in the numerator isn't a scalar multiple of the vector in the denominator, then there is no solution. If both numerator and denominator are zero vectors, then the lines coincide and c+dt is a point of intersection for any real value of t.

Note that this is an algebra and not a calculus problem.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of "intersection of 4D line"?

The intersection of 4D line refers to the point where two 4-dimensional lines intersect in 4-dimensional space. It is the common point shared by both lines and can be represented by a set of coordinates in 4-dimensional space.

2. How is the intersection of 4D line calculated?

To calculate the intersection of 4D line, we can use the parametric equation of a 4D line and solve for the parameters at which the two lines intersect. This will give us the coordinates of the intersection point in 4-dimensional space.

3. Can two 4D lines intersect at more than one point?

No, two 4D lines can only intersect at one point in 4-dimensional space. This is because a 4D line is defined by a single set of coordinates in 4-dimensional space, and the intersection point is the only point where both lines share the same coordinates.

4. What is the significance of the intersection of 4D line in scientific research?

The intersection of 4D line is important in fields such as geometry, physics, and computer graphics. It allows us to understand the relationship between two 4D objects in space and can be used to solve complex mathematical problems.

5. Are there real-life applications of the concept of intersection of 4D line?

Yes, the concept of intersection of 4D line has real-life applications in various fields such as robotics, computer animation, and computer vision. It is also used in engineering and design to solve problems involving 4D objects in space.