1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of a sphere and plane

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on this one. I have a multi-part problem, in which I can't get the second part. It starts like this:

(a)
    Find the equation of the sphere passes through the point (6,-2,3) and has a center of (-1,2,1).

So I did this find and came up with:

(x+1)²+(y-2)²+(z-1)² = 69

(b)
    Find the curve in which this sphere intersects the yz-plane.

So this is where I am stuck...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The zy plane is the set [itex]\Pi_{zy}[/itex] of all points (x,y,z ) of R^3 for which x=0.

and your sphere (I havent checked if you found the correct radius) is the set [itex]\mathbb{S}_{\sqrt{69}}[/itex] of all points (x,y,z) of R^3 that obey the equation (x+1)²+(y-2)²+(z-1)² = 69.

So, if you define the set [itex]\mbox{Intersection}(\Pi_{zy},\mathbb{S}_{\sqrt{69}})[/itex] of as the points (x,y,z) of R^3 that obey both to the x=0 and the (x+1)²+(y-2)²+(z-1)² = 69 condition, then points of this set are both the plane and the sphere. Logical?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    Hmm.. This is a little confusing for me. Sorry about that. So... I am not sure what the notation [itex]\Pi_{zy}[/itex] means, but I am guessing that it means the set of points on a sphere in the zy plane? But what you are basically telling me to do, or to think about, is to let x = 0, then I can solve a system of 2 equations and two unknowns to solve for y and z when x = 0. How does that sound?

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, do you understand that the intersection is a curve- one dimensional- and so can't be written as a single equation in 3 dimensions?

Yes, you can let x= 0. But then you can't "solve a system of two equations and two unknowns to solve for y and z when x= 0" because, first, you dont have two equations, and second, the intersection is not a single point!

letting x= 0 you get 1+ (y- 2)2+ (z- 1)2= 69 or
    (y- 2)2+ (z- 1)2= 68. That's the equation for a circle. A standard parametrization for a circle is to let [itex]\theta[/itex] be the angle a radius makes with an axis. In particular, what must y and z be, in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex] so that your equation becomes
    [itex]68cos^2(\theta)+ 68sin^2(\theta)= 68[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?