Max Non-Adjacent Vertices from Intersection of Hyperplane & n-Cube

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the maximum number of non-adjacent vertices of an n-cube lying in the intersection with a hyperplane. The maximum number is found to be n, with a potential counterexample for n=4. The problem is then restated in terms of a unit simplex and a parallelepiped, with a lower bound of n for the maximum number of vertices. A possible solution is also mentioned, along with a thesis that addresses this problem.
jorgealnino
Hi

Taking the intersection of a n-cube with any hyperplane, i would like to know the maximum number X of non adjacent vertices of the cube lying in such intersection.

In R2 for instance, i can cut the unit square {(0,0),(1,0),(1,1),(0,1)} with a diagonal line passing through
(1,0) and (0,1). Hence, X=2

In R3 i have the cube {(0,0,0),(1,0,0),(1,0,1),(0,0,1),(0,1,0),(1,1,0),(1,1,1),(0,1,1)} and the plane x1 + x2 + x3 = 1 touches the points {(1,0,0),(0,0,1),(0,1,0)}. Thus X=3?

In Rn, X = n? and if it is, how to show it?

Thanks for any hint!

Physics news on Phys.org

Interesting problem, you sure managed to distract me! :smile:

It's not n, I've found a counterexample. For n=4, you have X=6. The hyperplane w+x-y-z=0 intersects the vertices (0,0,0,0),(0,1,1,0),(0,1,0,1),(1,0,1,0),(1,0,0,1),(1,1,1,1), no pair of which are adjacent. And it can't be more than six, because the hyperplane can intersect the cubes at w=0 and w=1 no more than three times each from the n=3 case (in general, [itex]X_n\leq 2X_{n-1}[/itex]).

I still have no solution, but I've found a way to state the problem in a rather different form, which is how I found the counterexample:

From n nonzero numbers, not necessarily distinct, what is the largest possible number of ways of adding the numbers to get zero (including the sum of none of them, which is always a solution)?

How this works: the vertices of the cube are the points with all coordinates 0 or 1. We might as well take the hyperplane passing through the origin by symmetry. Then the hyperplane has an equation [itex]a_1 x_1+\cdots+a_n x_n=0[/itex]. The vertices correspond to subsets of {1,2,...,n}, being those coordinates which are 1. If a vertex intersects the hyperplane, its corresponding subset of the numbers [itex]a_n[/itex] sums to zero. Finally, there will be intersections of adjacent vertices if and only if one of the [itex]a_n[/itex] is zero.

I'm pretty sure you can take them all to be integers WLOG, but not sure how to prove it immediately.

Hi again

Yes, I agree it is an interesting problem as it is your approach to find the couterexample henry_m!

Even if this problem seems to be "standar", it was not easy for me to find some information about its solution. At the end i found this thesis:

Combinatorial & Computational Properties of the Hypercube
O Aichholzer

and in chapter 4 you can see that X = [itex]\binom {n}{\lceil n/2 \rceil}[/itex] is apparently
a well known result. There you can find also your bound: [itex]X_n\leq 2X_{n-1}[/itex].

Now I'm posting a variant of this problem which is indeed my original problem:

Having the unit simplex [itex]S_1 = \{x_i \in R^n : \sum_{i=1}^n{x_i}=1, x_i \geq 0\}[/itex],
how many vertices (X) of a parallepiped defined by
[itex]lb_i \leq x_i \leq ub_i[/itex] can be in [itex]S_1[/itex]?

Here, taking the parallepiped as the n-cube [itex]\{lb_i = 0,ub_i =1 \ \forall i\}[/itex] we have that [itex]n[/itex] is a lower bound for [itex]X[/itex].

Any idea to show that [itex]X = n[/itex] or another couterexample will be appreciated.

1. What is the significance of finding the maximum non-adjacent vertices from the intersection of a hyperplane and an n-cube?

The maximum non-adjacent vertices from the intersection of a hyperplane and an n-cube is an important concept in graph theory and computational geometry. It helps in determining the number of possible combinations or arrangements of points in a given space.

2. How is the maximum number of non-adjacent vertices calculated in this scenario?

The maximum number of non-adjacent vertices is calculated by first finding the number of vertices in the n-cube, which is equal to 2^n. Then, by using the formula 2^n-1, we can determine the maximum number of non-adjacent vertices from the intersection of the hyperplane and the n-cube.

3. What is the relation between the number of dimensions and the maximum non-adjacent vertices?

The number of dimensions, represented by n, is directly proportional to the maximum number of non-adjacent vertices. As the number of dimensions increases, so does the maximum number of non-adjacent vertices.

4. Can the maximum number of non-adjacent vertices be greater than the number of vertices in the n-cube?

No, the maximum number of non-adjacent vertices cannot be greater than the number of vertices in the n-cube. This is because the n-cube represents the entire set of all possible vertices in the given space.

5. What are some real-world applications of this concept?

The concept of the maximum non-adjacent vertices from the intersection of a hyperplane and an n-cube has various applications in fields such as data mining, signal processing, and network analysis. It is used to optimize data compression, clustering of data points, and identifying patterns in high-dimensional data sets.