1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of Indexed Sets

1. Feb 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the intersection of Ai (for all i in I = {1, 2, 3, ... n } = A1. Ai is a subset of Aj whenever i <= j.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Show:
    ***I'm having trouble showing part 1***1. that the intersection of Ai is a subset of A1, and
    2. A1 is a subset of the intersection of Ai.

This is my attempt: 1. Let x be an element of the intersection of Ai. Then x is in Ai for all i in I. Since A1 is contained in all Ai, then x is contained in A1.

2. Let x be an element of A1, then as A1 is a subset of Aj, for all j >= 1, x is an element of Aj. Thus, x is an element of the intersection of Ai.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think that's completely correct. Except maybe that you don't need A1 is a subset of Ai for the first part. If x is in the intersection of the Ai, it's certainly in A1.

4. Feb 23, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"This is my attempt: 1. Let x be an element of the intersection of Ai. Then x is in Ai for all i in I. [STRIKE]Since A1 is contained in all Ai, then x is contained in A1.[/STRIKE]"

Since x ∈ Ai for all i ∈ I, then clearly, x ∈ A1, because 1 ∈ I .

(Not that what you had was incorrect, but I think this is more direct.)

You could do (2.) by induction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?