1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of line and circle

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to find the points of intersection
    of line and circle with equations:

(x-p)^2 + (y-q)^2 = r^2
    (y-y1)*(x2-x1)-(x-x1)*(y2-y1)=0

but i can't handle with this. Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    What do you know about the circle's dimensions?

4. Oct 21, 2005 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your second equation (the line) can be simplified to look like y=mx+b (I assume x1, x2,y1,y2 are constants). Substitute mx+b for y in the first equation. You now have a quadratic in x. Solve for x, 2 real roots gives points of intersection, 1 root is tangency point, 0 real roots means no intersection. If x roots are real, use second equation to get y values.

Special case x1=x2, then x comes right out of second equation and 2 values of y can be found. Above comments about real roots and intersections apply. Line happens to be vertical.

5. Aug 10, 2007 #4
    I see how the case where the line is not vertical works but I don't see what you would do in the case where it is vertical. Can you explain in a little more detail?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?