1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of subgroups

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the intersection of any collection of subgroups of a group is again a subgroup

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Fixed proof
    Let [itex]H_1 and H_2 [/itex] be subgroups on G. We first see if [itex]H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] is again a subgroup. We see if [itex]a,b\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] then [itex] ab\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] is closed. Automatically the identity element has to be in [itex]H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] since [itex]H_1 and H_2 [/itex] are subgroups. And if [itex]a\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] then it follows that [itex]a^{-1}\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]H_1 and H_2 [/itex] is a subgroup.

I know this argument may sound redundant and in my inductive step I noticed that I never really used my assumption but would this work as a proof?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't do it by induction because they never say the intersection is a finite intersection.

However as you observe you didn't really need the inductive hypothesis, so you should be able to strip out the induction and be left with a complete proof without too much work.

4. Sep 24, 2013 #3
    Could I have two cases then. One for finite collection of subgroups and another one for a infinite number of subgroups? Or since it says any collection so I can pick an arbitrary number of subgroups on G like I did in my fixed proof where started with the simplest case and that should suffice?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. Sep 24, 2013 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

There are two points which will solve this problem for you in a single case for both countable and uncountable collections of subgroups:

(1) Every subgroup in the collection satisfies the group axioms.
    (2) An element is in the intersection if and only if it is in every subgroup in the collection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted