Intersection of subgroups

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
bonfire09

Homework Statement

Prove that the intersection of any collection of subgroups of a group is again a subgroup

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fixed proof
Let [itex]H_1 and H_2 [/itex] be subgroups on G. We first see if [itex]H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] is again a subgroup. We see if [itex]a,b\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] then [itex] ab\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] is closed. Automatically the identity element has to be in [itex]H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] since [itex]H_1 and H_2 [/itex] are subgroups. And if [itex]a\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex] then it follows that [itex]a^{-1}\in H_1 \cap H_2[/itex]. Thus [itex]H_1 and H_2 [/itex] is a subgroup.

I know this argument may sound redundant and in my inductive step I noticed that I never really used my assumption but would this work as a proof?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2021 Award
You can't do it by induction because they never say the intersection is a finite intersection.

However as you observe you didn't really need the inductive hypothesis, so you should be able to strip out the induction and be left with a complete proof without too much work.

bonfire09
Could I have two cases then. One for finite collection of subgroups and another one for a infinite number of subgroups? Or since it says any collection so I can pick an arbitrary number of subgroups on G like I did in my fixed proof where started with the simplest case and that should suffice?

Last edited:
pasmith
Homework Helper
Could I have two cases then. One for finite collection of subgroups and another one for a infinite number of subgroups? Or since it says any collection so I can pick an arbitrary number of subgroups on G like I did in my fixed proof where started with the simplest case and that should suffice?

There are two points which will solve this problem for you in a single case for both countable and uncountable collections of subgroups:

(1) Every subgroup in the collection satisfies the group axioms.
(2) An element is in the intersection if and only if it is in every subgroup in the collection.

Suggested for: Intersection of subgroups

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies