1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of Subspaces

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    Let H and K be subspaces of a vector space V. Prove that the intersection K and H is a subspace of V.

Intuitively I can see that this is true... Both H and K must be closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication so there intersection must also be closed under both those.

How do i prove this mathematically. And is what I've even said correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try some specific examples to get some empirical validation of your conjecture, or to look for a counterexample.

(Gives you time to do this)

Assuming it checks out, we can answer your question by trying to prove it mathematically!

Definitions are almost always a very good place to start. And since you're learning linear algebra, it's probably a good idea to try and translate the problem into algebraic statements.
  4. Nov 5, 2008 #3
    I really have no idea where to begin... how would I write something like that in an algebraic form?
  5. Nov 6, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

If K was a subset of a vector space V, how would you go about showing that K was a subspace of V? I know that's not the question you're working on, but maybe it will get you thinking in the right way.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?