1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of Surfaces

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    I need to find a parametric equation of the vector function which is the intersection of y = x2 and x2 + 4y2 + 4z2=16. I know the graph of the first equation is a parabola which stretches from negative infinity to infinity in the z direction. I also know that the second equation is that of an ellipsoid.

I have attempted to solve this by substituting x2 for y in the second equation which I think produces an ellipse. After this I am stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You want a PARAMETRIC form. You want to express x, y and z in terms of some parameter t. I would pick x=t to start. Now can you express the other variables in terms of t?

4. Sep 18, 2013 #3
    edit: why can't I delete my post? No replies yet. But yeah, take Dick's suggestion for a straightforward way to think about this problem.

5. Sep 18, 2013 #4
    So I took Dick's approach and I got <t, t2, (1/2)(16 - t2 - 4t4)1/2>. The only problem is that this is half the solution. I know I could get the other half if I took the negative sqrt but for my class I need one equation. It's kind of like when you convert the circle x2 + y2 = 1 to a parametric form; you could get <t, (1-t2)1/2> which just gives you half the circle, or you can do it the better way and get <sin(t), cos(t)> which gives an entire circle.

6. Sep 18, 2013 #5
    cp255, by substitution ##y=x^2## you got the ellipse equation. Complete the square and it will be easy to parametrize with ##\cos t,\,\sin t##

7. Sep 18, 2013 #6
    I know but then still I would have to define x as the square root of what y which only gives half the curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted