Parametric Equation for Intersection of Parabola and Ellipsoid

In summary, Dick suggested that I substitute x2 for y in the second equation to get an ellipse. After doing this I am stuck because I don't know how to express x in terms of t. I need to find a parametric equation of the vector function which is the intersection of y = x2 and x2 + 4y2 + 4z2=16, but I don't know how to get started.
cp255
I need to find a parametric equation of the vector function which is the intersection of y = x2 and x2 + 4y2 + 4z2=16. I know the graph of the first equation is a parabola which stretches from negative infinity to infinity in the z direction. I also know that the second equation is that of an ellipsoid.

I have attempted to solve this by substituting x2 for y in the second equation which I think produces an ellipse. After this I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
cp255 said:
I need to find a parametric equation of the vector function which is the intersection of y = x2 and x2 + 4y2 + 4z2=16. I know the graph of the first equation is a parabola which stretches from negative infinity to infinity in the z direction. I also know that the second equation is that of an ellipsoid.

I have attempted to solve this by substituting x2 for y in the second equation which I think produces an ellipse. After this I am stuck.

You want a PARAMETRIC form. You want to express x, y and z in terms of some parameter t. I would pick x=t to start. Now can you express the other variables in terms of t?

edit: why can't I delete my post? No replies yet. But yeah, take Dick's suggestion for a straightforward way to think about this problem.

So I took Dick's approach and I got <t, t2, (1/2)(16 - t2 - 4t4)1/2>. The only problem is that this is half the solution. I know I could get the other half if I took the negative sqrt but for my class I need one equation. It's kind of like when you convert the circle x2 + y2 = 1 to a parametric form; you could get <t, (1-t2)1/2> which just gives you half the circle, or you can do it the better way and get <sin(t), cos(t)> which gives an entire circle.

cp255, by substitution ##y=x^2## you got the ellipse equation. Complete the square and it will be easy to parametrize with ##\cos t,\,\sin t##

I know but then still I would have to define x as the square root of what y which only gives half the curve.

1. What is the intersection of surfaces?

The intersection of surfaces refers to the point or set of points where two or more surfaces intersect or meet each other. It can also be defined as the common area or boundary between two or more surfaces in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the intersection of surfaces calculated?

The calculation of the intersection of surfaces depends on the type of surfaces involved. For two planar surfaces, the intersection can be found by setting their equations equal to each other and solving for the variables. For more complex surfaces, computer algorithms and mathematical techniques such as parametric equations and calculus are used to determine the intersection.

3. What is the significance of the intersection of surfaces?

The intersection of surfaces has various applications in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and physics. It is used to determine the location of objects in space, to create 3D models, and to study the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves as they interact with different surfaces.

4. Can the intersection of surfaces be empty?

Yes, the intersection of surfaces can be empty if the two surfaces do not intersect or if they have no common points. This can occur when the two surfaces are parallel to each other or when they are completely separate in three-dimensional space.

5. How does the intersection of surfaces relate to the concept of curves of intersection?

Curves of intersection are the curves that result from the intersection of two surfaces. The intersection of surfaces can be seen as a generalization of curves of intersection to higher dimensions, where the intersection can be a point, a line, or a higher-dimensional object. In other words, curves of intersection are a special case of the intersection of surfaces.