1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of tangents

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two points represented by [itex]z_{1}, z_{2}[/itex] lie on circle |z|=1, the tangents to the circle at these points meet at the point represented by

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the tangents meet at the point [itex]z_{3}[/itex]. The centre of the given circle is (0,0).
    ∴ [itex]z_{1}, z_{2}, z_{3} and 0[/itex] are concyclic. Now what to do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is not true. z1 and z2 are on the circle which centre is (0,0) z3 can not lie on the circle.

Find the equations of the tangent line and the point where they cross each other.

ehild

4. Oct 2, 2012 #3

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I'm not saying that [itex]z_{3}[/itex] will lie on the circle with centre (0,0), Instead the 4 points which I mentioned will lie on some other circle and the centre of that circle will be the mid-point of line joining [itex]z_{3}[/itex] and 0.

5. Oct 2, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I misunderstood you. You are right, z1,z2, (0,0)and z3 are on a circle. Find z3 in terms of z1 and z2. One possible way is to write up the equations of the tangent lines and find the intersection. Do you know the equation of a straight line in term of its normal?

ehild

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  6. Oct 3, 2012 #5

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I know how to write equation of tangents in terms of x and y but not in the form of z. But I know the equation of a complex line.

7. Oct 4, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A complex number has x and y components like a vector in a plane. Write up the equations of the tangents in terms of x1,y1 and x2,y2. The coordinates of the point of intersection are x3,y3. You can convert it to the complex number z3=x3+iy3.

ehild

8. Oct 4, 2012 #7

utkarshakash

Gold Member

But I have to give the answer in terms of z1 and z2 and converting the answer to the required form will be calculative. Any other methods or should I go with this?

9. Oct 4, 2012 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do it as you can and we will see.

ehild

10. Oct 7, 2012 #9

utkarshakash

Gold Member

After writing the equation in terms of x and y and then simultaneously solving the two lines I get

[itex] \LARGE z_{3}= \frac{y_{2}-y_{1}}{x_{1}y_{2}-x_{2}y_{1}} + i \frac{x_{1}-x_{2}}{x_{1}y_{2}-x_{2}y_{1}}[/itex]

Now how do I represent this in terms of z1 and z2?

11. Oct 7, 2012 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

z=x+iy. x=Re(z) or (z+z*)/2; y=Im(z) or y=(z-z*)/2i. (* means complex conjugate)

ehild

12. Oct 8, 2012 #11

utkarshakash

Gold Member

After simplification I get

[itex] \LARGE z_{3}= \frac{2(z_{2}-z_{1}- \overline{z_{1}})}{\overline{z_{1}}z_{2}-z_{1} \overline{z_{2}}}[/itex]

But this is not the correct answer.

13. Oct 8, 2012 #12

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your result is not correct. Check the signs in your derivation.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook