Finding Points of Intersection for Two Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the points of intersection for two functions with the equations 2x+y-4=0 and (y^2)-4x=0. Different methods are suggested, including multiplying the first equation by 2 and using substitution to eliminate x. The ultimate goal is to find the x and y intersections, and it is determined that this is possible through the equation ((y^2)/4)=(4-y)/2. However, using the quadratic formula may result in irrational numbers. Ultimately, the conversation concludes with the individual being able to solve the problem using two methods and two equations.
Mrencko

Homework Statement

The problem ask for points of intersection of two functions

Homework Equations

1: 2x+y-4=0
2: (y^2)-4x=0

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt of solution its in a picture attached below...
I get stuck in this two equations
1: ((y^2)/4)+(y/2)-2=0
2: square root(-4x)-2x+4=0
What. Can i do whit that two equations
I ve tried the square formula and given a weir and nonsense result[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Mrencko said:

Homework Statement

The problem ask for points of intersection of two functions

Homework Equations

1: 2x+y-4=0
2: (y^2)-4x=0

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt of solution its in a picture attached below...
I get stuck in this two equations
1: ((y^2)/4)+(y/2)-2=0
2: square root(-4x)-2x+4=0
What. Can i do whit that two equations
I've tried the square formula and given a weir and nonsense result[/B]
No picture included.

Multiply first equation by 2 then add equations to eliminate x.

SammyS said:
No picture included.

Multiply first equation by 2 then add equations to eliminate x.
This is the picture of my work
IMG_20150429_205217774.jpg

How do you get ##\ y=\sqrt{-4x}\ ## ? Specifically, where does that negative sign come from in under the radical ?

SammyS said:
How do you get ##\ y=\sqrt{-4x}\ ## ? Specifically, where does that negative sign come from in under the radical ?
That was incorrect. Anyway, much simpler is your first suggestion: Multiply first equation by 2 then add equations to eliminate x.

Equivalently, multiply the first equation by 2, then write it as 4x= 8- 2y so that the second equation can be written [itex]y^2- 8+ 2y= 0[/itex] or [itex]y^2+ 2y- 8= 0[/itex].

Thanks i will do that, but what is the point of multiply by 2? Dont change the integrity of the next equation?

Mrencko said:
Thanks i will do that, but what is the point of multiply by 2? Dont change the integrity of the next equation?
Multiplying an equation by 2 gives an equivalent equation. Right ?If you want to use the method of substitution, it's better to solve one of the equations for x rather than for y. Then substitute that into the other equation. That way you don't take a square root.

Last edited:
1430413029701733866861.jpg

What is thw diference between this and the above equation? Pictures i mean
1430413143609922626788.jpg

Mrencko said:
What is the difference between this and the above equation? Pictures i meanView attachment 82841
Maybe not much? I didn't like the ##\ \sqrt{-4x\ }\ ##. Especially since x had to be positive.What is your ultimate goal here?

Find the x and y intersections, i think this is finally solved, but my only doubt, if is this is posible to solve trought this equation:((y^2)/4)=(4-y)/2

Attachments

• 14304138321541924722937.jpg
    14304138321541924722937.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 348
Mrencko said:
Find the x and y intersections, i think this is finally solved, but my only doubt, if is this is possible to solve trought this equation:((y^2)/4)=(4-y)/2
Why not ?

If i use the quadratic form whit that equation i get, irrational numbers

Mrencko said:
If i use the quadratic form whit that equation i get, irrational numbers
You shouldn't.

Please show your calculations.

i went out for vacations, and somehow now its clear for my using the two metods and two equations, i am very grateful for the help, cheers guys :)

What is an intersection of two functions?

An intersection of two functions is a point or set of points where the two functions meet or cross each other on a graph. It represents the solution to a system of equations formed by the two functions.

How do you find the intersection of two functions?

To find the intersection of two functions, you can set the two equations equal to each other and solve for the variable. The resulting value is the x-coordinate of the intersection point. You can then substitute this value into either equation to find the corresponding y-coordinate.

What does it mean when two functions have no intersection?

If two functions do not have an intersection point, it means that there is no solution to the system of equations formed by the two functions. This could happen when the two functions are parallel to each other or when they do not have any common points on the graph.

Can two functions intersect more than once?

Yes, it is possible for two functions to intersect more than once. This occurs when the two functions have more than one point in common on the graph. In this case, the two functions would have multiple solutions to the system of equations formed by them.

What is the significance of the intersection of two functions in real life?

The intersection of two functions is significant in real life because it represents the point where two different quantities or variables are equal to each other. This can be useful in solving various problems and equations in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.