1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of two graphs

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data The graphs y=abs(x) and y=(x^2)-6 intersect at x=3 and x= -3
    What is confusing me is when I set them equal to eachother and solve (x^2)-x-6=0 and (x^2)+x-6=0 I get -3,+3,-2,+2
    What is the deal with the negative 2 and pos 2?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

abs(x) = x only if x is positive, so when you solve x^2-x-6=0, you need to disregard negative answers, and vice versa

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

y= |x| is the graph of y=x with the bottom half reflected in the x-axis (so any value of x gives a positive value of y). It looks like a v basically.

Since both y=|x| and y=x2-6 are symmetrical about the y-axis, you will get 'mirrored' answers, so if you get x=2, you will get x=-2 on the next side of the graphs.

Draw them out and you will see the symmetry I am talking about.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4
    Thanks, I did draw them out and the graphs intersect at x=3 and x=-3
    They do not intersect at x=2 and x=-2 even though 2 and -2 solve the equation when I set the two functions equal to eachother.

6. Sep 7, 2011 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Yeah drawing you would see +3 and -3 but it's like wukunlin said.

When you solved x2-x-6=0 you had the constraint of x>0, you would ignore the x=-2.

7. Sep 7, 2011 #6
    ohhhhhhhh ok I get it now. Thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook