1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of two lines

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the lines r=(a,b,c)+t(d,e,f) and q=(h,i,j)+s(k,l,m) intersect, and find the coordinates of their point of intersection. Also, find the acute angle between their lines

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no attempt because i'm stumpped...
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand that "r= (a,b,c)+ t(d,e,f)" means that x= a+ td, y= b+ te, z= c+ tf for every point on that line and that "q= (h,i,j)+ s(k,l,m)" means that x= h+ sk, y= i+ sl, z= j+ sm for every point on THAT line. If the two lines intersect then, at the point of intersection they have the same x, y, z values: x= a+ td= h+ sk, y= b+ te= i+ sl, z= c+ tf= j+ sm. That gives you three equations to solve for t and s.

Of course, typically, you can use two of those equations to find t and s and the check in the third to see if they work. Typically, two lines in 3 dimensions do NOT intersect.
  4. Apr 8, 2008 #3
    Ok, i've managed to get the point of intersection from that, thankyou. But what about the acute angle between them?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?