Finding the Intersection Point of Two Lines in Vector Form

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a specific equation for representing lines and finding the intersection point between two lines written in this form. The individual has been able to solve for the parameter "t" but has encountered issues with getting multiple values for "t" and the corresponding x and y values. Another individual suggests solving a 2*2 system of two unknowns and eliminating the parametrization variable to find the intersection point. The first individual then shares their solution of converting the equation into y = mx + b form and solving for x and y. They also mention using the point found to solve for "t" to determine if the intersection is between the two given points.
ross
I'm using the following equation to represent lines

(x, y) = (start_x, start_y) + t((end_x, end_y) - (start_x, start_y))

I'm trying to find the interesection point of two lines written in this form.

I have been able to solve for t and plug it back into the equation, but i get two values of t when i solve for it. So that gives me 2 possible x values and 2 possible y values in the end. One x value is correct, and one y value is correct, but I get a wrong x value and a wrong y value.

I'm wondering if there's a totally different way, or a way to get rid of the x and y value that I don't need.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
You are going about this in a fundamentally wrong way.
The parameter "t" need not have the same value at the point of intersection for each line!
What you need, is to solve a 2*2 system of two unknowns, the two parametrization variables:
Let superscript "1" denote Line 1 expression, "2" Line 2 expression.
Then we may write:
[tex](x,y)=(x^{1}_{0},y^{1}_{0})+t^{1}(x_{1}^{1}-x_{0}^{1}, y_{1}^{1}-y_{0}^{1})[/tex]
And line 2:
[tex](x,y)=(x^{2}_{0},y^{2}_{0})+t^{2}(x_{1}^{2}-x_{0}^{2}, y_{1}^{2}-y_{0}^{2})[/tex]
Set these expressions equal to each other, and solve for [tex]t^{1},t^{2}[/tex]

You may also eliminate the parametrization variable, and solve the following system
for x and y:
[tex]y=a^{1}x+b^{1}[/tex]
[tex]y=a^{2}x+b^{2}[/tex]

Ok, thanks.

What I ended up doing was turning the (x, y) = (a, b) + t(c - a, d - b) into y = mx + b. Then I solved for x and y.

The reason I wanted t was to know whether the intersection was actually between the two points (0 <= t <= 1). But I can just plug the point I found back into the first equation and solve for t.

x = a + t(c - a)
t = (x - a) / (c - a)

1. What is the formula for finding the intersection point of two lines?

The formula for finding the intersection point of two lines is (x,y), where x is the x-coordinate and y is the y-coordinate. This can be calculated using the substitution method or the elimination method depending on the given equations of the lines.

2. How do you determine if two lines are parallel or intersecting?

Two lines are considered parallel if they have the same slope and different y-intercepts. On the other hand, if two lines have different slopes, they are considered intersecting. The intersection point can be calculated using the aforementioned methods.

3. Can two lines intersect in more than one point?

No, two lines can only intersect in one point. This is because each point on a line has a unique set of coordinates, and if two lines intersect at more than one point, then those points would have the same coordinates which is not possible.

4. Is it possible for two lines to have no intersection point?

Yes, it is possible for two lines to not intersect at any point. This happens when the slopes are equal and the y-intercepts are also equal. In this case, the lines are considered coincident or overlapping.

5. Can the intersection point of two lines be negative?

Yes, the intersection point of two lines can be negative as long as the coordinates of the point are negative. This can happen when the lines have negative slopes and/or y-intercepts.