Intersection of two Objects

In summary, the problem is to find the angle at which an object (O1) should be thrown so that it intersects with another object (O2) already in motion. The speeds and initial positions of both objects are known, but using a quadratic equation to solve for the angle results in a negative discriminant. One possible solution method involves considering the problem as a triangle, with points P1, P2, and P3 representing the thrower, the moving object, and the intersection point, respectively. Using the Law of Cosines and the relationship between the distances traveled by each object, an equation can be obtained to solve for the angle.
cloj63

Homework Statement

Ok, I need to find the angle at which I will throw an object (O1) so that it intersect with another one (O2) already in motion.

I know the speed of each object (constant speed, no acceleration), I know the angle of O2 and its distance from me at time=0

Homework Equations

Speed O1 10u/s
Speed O2 3u/s

Angle of O1: unknown
Angle of O2: ∏/3

Position of O2 at t0: 40 units, at an angle of 3∏/2 in O1 perspective

The Attempt at a Solution

THIS ATTEMPT WENT TO NOTHING, IT IS LONG AND MAYBE CONFUSING SAID LIKE THAT IN A FORUM... read if you prefer. In reality; I am searching for a way to solve the problem that is not this one (as I get negative discriminant in a quadratic thus impossible to solve). What path would you use to solve it?

Here is my first attempt to solve it; google doc sheets and its written in french however:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzKB0-4y9gXPR0dzVGc2elVUUC1ud2Z4VWdjdkpOdw/edit?pli=1

There is a lot of errors in that, and the first half page is just junk and irrelevant in the end.

To summarize: I think it as a triangle problem where P1 is me, P2 is the other object and P3 is the intersection point.
I know one angle: P2 because I know O2 position and its angle of motion [∏/2-(2∏-3∏/2)]+[∏/2-∏/3]=∏/6.
I also know the P1P2 side; 40 units
I don't exactly know the other two sides, but I know their relation to each other:

P1P3 side is the distance my object will move: P1P3=t*(Speed of O1)=t*10u/s

P2P3 side is the distance the other object will move: P2P3=t*(Speed of O2)=t*3u/s

P3 is the point they will intersect, thus at P3; t of both will be equal. t=P2P3/(3u/s)
Thus I can substitute in one equation: P1P3=P2P3/(3u/s)*10u/s

Long story short; I was able to isolate what my Angle P1 was, but it required using Law of Cosin and a quadratic equality... to get a very long equation (you can see the derivation starting from middle 2nd page if you want). But the quadratic left a radical, and unfortunately most scenario I am in lead to a negative answer IN the quadratic (Discriminant <0) and I can't understand why it could give me an impossible scenario in an intersection problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
cloj63 said:

Homework Statement

Ok, I need to find the angle at which I will throw an object (O1) so that it intersect with another one (O2) already in motion.

I know the speed of each object (constant speed, no acceleration), I know the angle of O2 and its distance from me at time=0

Homework Equations

Speed O1 10u/s
Speed O2 3u/s

Angle of O1: unknown
Angle of O2: ∏/3

Position of O2 at t0: 40 units, at an angle of 3∏/2 in O1 perspective

The Attempt at a Solution

THIS ATTEMPT WENT TO NOTHING, IT IS LONG AND MAYBE CONFUSING SAID LIKE THAT IN A FORUM... read if you prefer. In reality; I am searching for a way to solve the problem that is not this one (as I get negative discriminant in a quadratic thus impossible to solve). What path would you use to solve it?

Here is my first attempt to solve it; google doc sheets and its written in french however:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzKB0-4y9gXPR0dzVGc2elVUUC1ud2Z4VWdjdkpOdw/edit?pli=1

There is a lot of errors in that, and the first half page is just junk and irrelevant in the end.

To summarize: I think it as a triangle problem where P1 is me, P2 is the other object and P3 is the intersection point.
I know one angle: P2 because I know O2 position and its angle of motion [∏/2-(2∏-3∏/2)]+[∏/2-∏/3]=∏/6.
I also know the P1P2 side; 40 units
I don't exactly know the other two sides, but I know their relation to each other:

P1P3 side is the distance my object will move: P1P3=t*(Speed of O1)=t*10u/s

P2P3 side is the distance the other object will move: P2P3=t*(Speed of O2)=t*3u/s

P3 is the point they will intersect, thus at P3; t of both will be equal. t=P2P3/(3u/s)
Thus I can substitute in one equation: P1P3=P2P3/(3u/s)*10u/s

Long story short; I was able to isolate what my Angle P1 was, but it required using Law of Cosin and a quadratic equality... to get a very long equation (you can see the derivation starting from middle 2nd page if you want). But the quadratic left a radical, and unfortunately most scenario I am in lead to a negative answer IN the quadratic (Discriminant <0) and I can't understand why it could give me an impossible scenario in an intersection problem...

X = the distance (X-axis) from origin of the final position of both objects when they meet.
Y = the distance (Y-axis) from origin of the final position of both objects when they meet.
y1 = distance traveled by object 1 in the Y-axis
y2 = distance traveled by object 2 in the Y-axis
x1 = distance traveled by object 1 in the X-axis
x2 = distance traveled by object 2 in the X-axis
X1i = initial position of object 1 in the X-axis
X2i = initial position of object 2 in the X-axis
Y1i = initial position of object 1 in the Y-axis
Y2i = initial position of object 2 in the Y-axis

X = x1 + X1i = x2 + X2i
Y = y1 + Y1i = y2 + Y2i

initial position of both is already given. i.e X1i X2i Y1i Y2i

x1 = (V1 * Cos (θ1)) * t
x2 = (V2 * Cos (θ2)) * t
y1 = (V1 * Sin (θ1)) * t
y2 = (V2 * Sin (θ2)) * t
Now good luck.

thanks, I will try this out

What is the intersection of two objects?

The intersection of two objects refers to the point or area where the two objects meet or cross each other.

How is the intersection of two objects calculated?

The intersection of two objects can be calculated by finding the common elements or coordinates between the two objects. This can be done mathematically using equations or visually by plotting the objects on a graph.

What is the significance of the intersection of two objects?

The intersection of two objects is important because it helps in determining the relationship between the two objects. It can also provide information about the common features or characteristics shared by the two objects.

Can the intersection of two objects be empty?

Yes, the intersection of two objects can be empty if there are no common elements or coordinates between the two objects. This means that the two objects do not intersect or overlap with each other.

What are some real-life examples of the intersection of two objects?

Some real-life examples of the intersection of two objects include the intersection of two roads, the intersection of two lines on a graph, and the intersection of two beams in a building structure.