1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of two Objects

1. Apr 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, I need to find the angle at which I will throw an object (O1) so that it intersect with another one (O2) already in motion.

I know the speed of each object (constant speed, no acceleration), I know the angle of O2 and its distance from me at time=0

2. Relevant equations

Speed O1 10u/s
    Speed O2 3u/s

Angle of O1: unknown
    Angle of O2: ∏/3

Position of O2 at t0: 40 units, at an angle of 3∏/2 in O1 perspective

3. The attempt at a solution

THIS ATTEMPT WENT TO NOTHING, IT IS LONG AND MAYBE CONFUSING SAID LIKE THAT IN A FORUM... read if you prefer. In reality; I am searching for a way to solve the problem that is not this one (as I get negative discriminant in a quadratic thus impossible to solve). What path would you use to solve it?

Here is my first attempt to solve it; google doc sheets and its written in french however:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzKB0-4y9gXPR0dzVGc2elVUUC1ud2Z4VWdjdkpOdw/edit?pli=1

There is a lot of errors in that, and the first half page is just junk and irrelevant in the end.

To summarize: I think it as a triangle problem where P1 is me, P2 is the other object and P3 is the intersection point.
    I know one angle: P2 because I know O2 position and its angle of motion [∏/2-(2∏-3∏/2)]+[∏/2-∏/3]=∏/6.
    I also know the P1P2 side; 40 units
    I don't exactly know the other two sides, but I know their relation to each other:

P1P3 side is the distance my object will move: P1P3=t*(Speed of O1)=t*10u/s

P2P3 side is the distance the other object will move: P2P3=t*(Speed of O2)=t*3u/s

P3 is the point they will intersect, thus at P3; t of both will be equal. t=P2P3/(3u/s)
    Thus I can substitute in one equation: P1P3=P2P3/(3u/s)*10u/s

Long story short; I was able to isolate what my Angle P1 was, but it required using Law of Cosin and a quadratic equality... to get a very long equation (you can see the derivation starting from middle 2nd page if you want). But the quadratic left a radical, and unfortunately most scenario I am in lead to a negative answer IN the quadratic (Discriminant <0) and I can't understand why it could give me an impossible scenario in an intersection problem...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2
    X = the distance (X-axis) from origin of the final position of both objects when they meet.
    Y = the distance (Y-axis) from origin of the final position of both objects when they meet.
    y1 = distance traveled by object 1 in the Y-axis
    y2 = distance traveled by object 2 in the Y-axis
    x1 = distance traveled by object 1 in the X-axis
    x2 = distance traveled by object 2 in the X-axis
    X1i = initial position of object 1 in the X-axis
    X2i = initial position of object 2 in the X-axis
    Y1i = initial position of object 1 in the Y-axis
    Y2i = initial position of object 2 in the Y-axis

X = x1 + X1i = x2 + X2i
    Y = y1 + Y1i = y2 + Y2i

initial position of both is already given. i.e X1i X2i Y1i Y2i

x1 = (V1 * Cos (θ1)) * t
    x2 = (V2 * Cos (θ2)) * t
    y1 = (V1 * Sin (θ1)) * t
    y2 = (V2 * Sin (θ2)) * t

Now good luck.

4. Apr 11, 2012 #3
    thanks, I will try this out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook