1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersections homework help

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    how wud i do the following:

1.ax+by=c, y=2ax
    2.y=mx+c, y=-mx+d
    3.ax-by=1, y=x
    4.some values for a,b and c for which equation does not represent a straight line, give egs

ive dun simpler versions of 1-3 but i haven't come across the above, so cud someone please tell me a simple method of working them out. thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In general, plug one equation into the other to eliminate x or y from one equation. Solve for the remaining variable, take that solution and use it to determine the other variable.

These are pretty straight forward problems, give it a bit of thought and play with what I said above.

BTW: This should be posted in the homework forum.

4. Sep 27, 2004 #3
    i did post the same thing in the homework section but i didnt get a reply which i needed quite badly, so i came here instead. btw. i still dont understand how to do these particular questions, i have used tht method for slightly simpler questions, but this question just puzzles me

5. Sep 27, 2004 #4
    How long did you wait for a reply? Don't forget that everybody here has different schedules than what you do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook