What are the requirements for interstellar travel at different speeds?

In summary: The time it takes to reach to reach the speed at 1 gravity acceleration. I'll change that to make it more clear.The time it takes to reach to reach the speed at 1 gravity acceleration. I'll change that to make it more clear. I'm sorry, but this does not make sense.
Jon0815
Using information and calculators I found online, I have put together a series of tables illustrating the energy, fuel mass, and time requirements (both Earth and ship time, at 1 g acceleration) for a spacecraft to reach various percentages of light speed.

https://sites.google.com/site/interstellartraveltables/

I don't have a physics background myself, so I'd appreciate it if anyone who does could look it over and see if they spot any errors.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not going to check all of the numbers, but all of the nonaccelerated numbers look reasonable.

What is meant by, "Acceleration time at 1 gravity"? Also, these types of calculations (fuel mass, energy requirements, etc.) are particularly enlightening (and more difficult) in the case of the accelerating starship. I see you've worked out timetables, but it's also interesting to see the absurd amount of fuel necessary to maintain these accelerations :)

What is meant by, "Acceleration time at 1 gravity"?

The time it takes to reach to reach the speed at 1 gravity acceleration. I'll change that to make it more clear.

Jon0815 said:
The time it takes to reach to reach the speed at 1 gravity acceleration. I'll change that to make it more clear.
I'm sorry, but this does not make sense.

g = 9.81 m/s2 is a measure of acceleration, and speed (or magnitude of velocity) is found by integrating the acceleration over time. If one accelerates at a constant acceleration of g, the v = gt + vo.

One also needs the specific impulse in order to determine the propellant mass flow rate to achieve a given thrust, and mass flow rate integrated over time will give the total propellant to be stored. If there is a huge mass of propellant, one will require a substantial thrust to get 1 g of acceleration, and one will need substantial mass in which to store the propellant.

Ideally, one has a high Isp, which means a lot of energy per unit mass of propellant. However, high Isp systems usually have low mass flow rates.

Astronuc said:
I'm sorry, but this does not make sense.

g = 9.81 m/s2 is a measure of acceleration, and speed (or magnitude of velocity) is found by integrating the acceleration over time. If one accelerates at a constant acceleration of g, the v = gt + vo.

Well, acceleration might be constant in the frame of the rocket, but will not be in the static Earth frame. But I think it's now clear what was meant.

What is an Interstellar Travel Table?

An Interstellar Travel Table is a scientific tool used to calculate the time and distance required for a spacecraft to travel from one location in space to another. It takes into account factors such as the spacecraft's speed, the gravitational pull of nearby objects, and the curvature of space-time.

How accurate are Interstellar Travel Tables?

Interstellar Travel Tables are based on complex mathematical equations and are constantly being refined and updated with new data. While they are generally considered to be accurate, there are many variables in space travel that can affect the results. The accuracy also depends on the precision of the input data and the accuracy of the calculations.

What is the purpose of using Interstellar Travel Tables?

The main purpose of Interstellar Travel Tables is to assist in planning and navigating long-distance space travel. They can help scientists and engineers determine the best route and timing for a spacecraft to reach its destination, taking into account variables such as fuel consumption and gravitational forces.

How are Interstellar Travel Tables created?

Interstellar Travel Tables are created using mathematical models and computer simulations based on the laws of physics. Scientists use data from previous space missions, as well as observations and measurements of celestial objects, to develop and refine these models.

Are Interstellar Travel Tables used for space travel beyond our solar system?

Yes, Interstellar Travel Tables can be used for space travel beyond our solar system. In fact, they are especially useful for planning and navigating interstellar travel, as the distances and variables involved are even more complex than within our own solar system.