1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interval halving

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1
    could someone give me a hand with this please?

i need to use the interval halving method to show that the function f has a root in the interval [a,b]. I need to approximate that root and determine a bound on the error of my estimate.

f(x)=x^3+2x^2+pi(x)-(square root of 2)

I have determined that f(-1)= -3.55581 and that

f(1)= 4.72738

the actual answer to the problem in the back of the book is: root is approx=0.25 and error at most 1/8

I'm getting confused because wouldn't the error be (-1+1)/2? This would equal zero.

Any help would be great.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The interval halving method requires you to keep narrowing an interval to find a smaller and smaller interval that contains a desired root. In this case, the intervale halving method goes like this:

-1) -3.55581
    +1) +4.72738

So there must be a root between -1 and +1. Try the midpoint of the interval, i.e the midpoint of [-1,+1] or zero. This gives:

-1) -3.55581
    0) -1.414
    +1) +4.72738

So now you know that the solution is in the interval [0,+1]. You begin the problem again with:

0) -1.414
    +1) +4.72738

So there must be a root somewhere between 0 and 1. Try 0.5

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?