Interval Notation: Solve |x| ≤ 3

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding and solving an interval notation problem involving absolute values. The group discussed the different notations and how to interpret them, as well as the concept of absolute value and its solutions. Ultimately, they agreed that option A, (-∞, -3] U [3, ∞), was the correct answer for the given equation.
CloudKill9
A friend had a question about Interval Notations, I had no idea how to do it..but kind of ..well tried to learn how. And I think the answer is A? Any help here?

1: Write in interval notation: | x | ≤ 3
a. (-∞, -3] U [3, ∞)
b. (-∞, ∞)
c. [-3, 3]
d. No solution

Physics news on Phys.org
With regards to interval notation,
( or ) correspond to "up to but not including",
[ or ] correspond to "up and and including",
and U corresponds to "union", or "and this stuff too".

So, for instance, option A would read as:

everything from negative infinity (although not including negative infinity, since it technically isn't a number and can never be reached) up to and including negative three, in addition to everything from (and including) positive three up to (but not including) positive infinity.

An easy way to check whether or not that matches the condition you want is to pick a few numbers from your interval and see if they satisfy the condition. If you can find any numbers which do not satisfy the condition then the interval won't work.

From my knowledge of Absolute Values it means that there is two separate solutions, so it can be either -x or x. So Seeing that this has to be less than or equal to 3, I would go with option A.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the quick help. I figured it was A because of the absolute value...

If [tex]x = -10[/tex], is it true that [tex]|x| \leq 3[/tex]?

Regards,
George

Tx said:
From my knowledge of Absolute Values it means that there is two separate solutions, so it can be either -x or x. So Seeing that this has to be greater than or equal to 3, I would go with option A.

Umm... To me that equation says that the absolute value of x must be less than or equal to 3 not greater than or equal to.

Yep, Sorry about that.

The absolute value of x is a piecewise defined function therefore we have,

[tex]
\left| x \right| \le 3\left\{ \begin{array}{l}
x \le 3,{\rm when \ x } \ge {\rm 0} \\
- x \le 3,{\rm when \ x < 0} \\
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

Solving for x when [tex]{\rm x} \ge {\rm 0}[/tex] we have,

[tex]
x \le 3
\]
[/tex]

Solving for x when [tex]{\rm x < 0}[/tex] we have,

[tex]
x \ge - 3

[/tex]

We conclude that the domain of x is [tex][ - 3,3] \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \square [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is interval notation?

Interval notation is a way of representing a set of numbers by using brackets and parentheses. It is commonly used in mathematics to express the range of values that satisfy a given condition.

2. How do you read interval notation?

In interval notation, the symbol "(" means "not included" and "[" means "included". The numbers outside the brackets represent the endpoints of the interval, and the numbers inside the brackets represent the boundary points. For example, the notation (2, 5] would read as "all numbers greater than 2, up to and including 5".

3. What does |x| ≤ 3 mean in interval notation?

This expression means that the absolute value of x is less than or equal to 3. In interval notation, this would be written as [-3, 3]. This includes all numbers between -3 and 3, including -3 and 3 themselves.

4. How do you solve an inequality using interval notation?

To solve an inequality using interval notation, first solve the inequality as you normally would. Then, depending on whether the endpoint values are included or not, use the appropriate brackets or parentheses in the notation. For example, if the solution is x < 5, the interval notation would be (-∞, 5).

5. What is the difference between open and closed intervals in interval notation?

In interval notation, a closed interval includes its endpoints (using brackets), while an open interval does not include its endpoints (using parentheses). For example, the notation [1, 5] represents a closed interval from 1 to 5, including both 1 and 5, while the notation (1, 5) represents an open interval from 1 to 5, not including 1 and 5.