What is the Interval of Convergence for \sum x^n/4^n*ln(n) using the Ratio Test?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the Ratio Test to find the interval of convergence for the sum x^n/4^n*ln(n). However, the test is inconclusive and does not provide a definite answer on whether the sum is convergent or divergent. The participants also discuss the correct form of the sum and ask for clarification on the process.
Sabricd
[tex]\sum[/tex] x^n/4^n*ln(n)

I have applied the Ratio Test and I got 1 and I am trying to find the interval of convergence. However, by the Ratio Test, the answer is inconclusive. It does not prove whether it is convergent or divergent. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sabricd said:
[tex]\sum[/tex] x^n/4^n*ln(n)

I have applied the Ratio Test and I got 1 and I am trying to find the interval of convergence. However, by the Ratio Test, the answer is inconclusive. It does not prove whether it is convergent or divergent. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Just checking... Is this the sum you're working with?
[tex]\sum \frac{x^n}{4^n}n~ln(n)[/tex]

Hello,

Nope, it is x^n/(4^n * Ln(n))

Thank you, I think I am just having trouble applying the Ratio Test.

There is no extra n, and the Ln(n) goes in the denominator :)

So the sum is: [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{\frac{x^{n}}{4^{n}\ln(n)}}[/tex]. Could you show how you reached your conclusions? The ratio of consecutive x-coefficients is not one. Even if it were one, that would not mean that the result is inconclusive (it would mean that the sum is a constant multiple of the geometric series which has a radius of convergence of 1).

Last edited:

1. What is the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is a range of values for which a power series will converge. It is typically expressed as a closed interval, meaning it includes both of its endpoints.

2. How is the interval of convergence determined?

The interval of convergence is determined by using the ratio test or the root test. These tests analyze the behavior of the terms in a power series to determine if it will converge or diverge.

3. What happens if a number falls outside of the interval of convergence?

If a number falls outside of the interval of convergence, the power series will diverge and will not be a valid representation of the function it is approximating.

4. Can the interval of convergence change?

Yes, the interval of convergence can change depending on the function being represented. Some power series may have a larger or smaller interval of convergence than others.

5. How is the interval of convergence used in real-world applications?

The interval of convergence is important in approximating functions and solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It allows for more accurate and efficient calculations by using a series instead of a complicated function.