1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interval of Convergence

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the interval of convergence of each of the following
    Ʃ[itex]^{∞}_{n=0}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{3^{n}-2^{2}}{2^{2n}}[/itex](x-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex])

2. Relevant equations
    Please refer to attachment

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please refer to attachment. All I want to know is that I'm doing this problem right. I have found the interval but haven't plugged the interval back into the equation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shouldn't break it into two series like that unless you know what you are doing. And combining them into (3/4)(x-1)-(1/4)(x-1) shows you probably don't. Just apply the ratio test to the whole expression.

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3
    The thing is I don't know what to do with that 2^2 in the equation, it throws me off. I'll re-post a picture this time everything together.

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of the factors in your ratio test should be (3^(n+1)-2^2)/(3^n-2^2), right? To find the limit of that as n->infinity, just divide numerator and denominator by 3^n.

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5
    I tried your suggestion, however I didn't come to a good end (maybe I did something wrong). Please take a look at the attached file; this is my re-attempt.

Attached Files:

• att.jpg
      att.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Nov 26, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks more complicated than necessary- it should be obvious that
    [tex]\frac{3^{n+1}- 4}{3^n- 4}[/tex]
    is dominated by [itex]3^{n+1}{3^n}= 3[/itex] and so its limit is 3. But your result, that the limit is [itex](3/4)|x- 1|[/itex] is correct. Now, what is the answer to your original question?

8. Nov 26, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not right. There's a mistake in the long division. 3^(n+1)-3^n isn't 3. And I didn't mean that in my suggestion. Take (3^(n+1)-4)/(3^n-4). Dividing the numerator, 3^(n+1)-4 by 3^n gives you 3^(n+1)/3^n-4/3^n. What's 3^(n+1)/3^n? Now take the limit as n->infinity. Do the same with the denominator.

9. Nov 28, 2011 #8
    Thank you I got it now.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook