Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Interval of Convergence

1. Nov 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the interval of convergence of each of the following
    Ʃ[itex]^{∞}_{n=0}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{3^{n}-2^{2}}{2^{2n}}[/itex](x-1)[itex]^{n}[/itex])

2. Relevant equations
    Please refer to attachment

3. The attempt at a solution
    Please refer to attachment. All I want to know is that I'm doing this problem right. I have found the interval but haven't plugged the interval back into the equation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You shouldn't break it into two series like that unless you know what you are doing. And combining them into (3/4)(x-1)-(1/4)(x-1) shows you probably don't. Just apply the ratio test to the whole expression.

4. Nov 25, 2011 #3
    The thing is I don't know what to do with that 2^2 in the equation, it throws me off. I'll re-post a picture this time everything together.

5. Nov 25, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

One of the factors in your ratio test should be (3^(n+1)-2^2)/(3^n-2^2), right? To find the limit of that as n->infinity, just divide numerator and denominator by 3^n.

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5
    I tried your suggestion, however I didn't come to a good end (maybe I did something wrong). Please take a look at the attached file; this is my re-attempt.

Attached Files:

• att.jpg
      att.jpg
      File size:
      21.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Nov 26, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

It looks more complicated than necessary- it should be obvious that
    [tex]\frac{3^{n+1}- 4}{3^n- 4}[/tex]
    is dominated by [itex]3^{n+1}{3^n}= 3[/itex] and so its limit is 3. But your result, that the limit is [itex](3/4)|x- 1|[/itex] is correct. Now, what is the answer to your original question?

8. Nov 26, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not right. There's a mistake in the long division. 3^(n+1)-3^n isn't 3. And I didn't mean that in my suggestion. Take (3^(n+1)-4)/(3^n-4). Dividing the numerator, 3^(n+1)-4 by 3^n gives you 3^(n+1)/3^n-4/3^n. What's 3^(n+1)/3^n? Now take the limit as n->infinity. Do the same with the denominator.

9. Nov 28, 2011 #8
    Thank you I got it now.

Thanks

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook