1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Interval of convergence

1. Dec 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the interval of convergence of: ##\sum\frac{n^n}{n!}z^n##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I obtained that the radius of convergence is ##1/e## but I am not sure what to do at the end points. For ##z=1/e## I would have ##\sum{n^n}{n!e^n}##.
    Mod edit: I think you mean ##\sum \frac{n^n}{n!e^n}##.
    Using Stirling formula I would obtain an approximation of the form ##\sum \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi n}}##, which would go to infinity. However I am not sure how to make it formal, as this approximation is not a lower, but an upper bound for n!. And how should I proceed for -1/e? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As shown in Volume I of Fuller's probability book, we have rigorous lower and upper bounds:
    $$\sqrt{2 \pi n} \, n^n e^{-n} < n! < \sqrt{2 \pi n} \, n^n e^{-n + 1/(12 n)} $$
    for all integers ##n \geq 1##. For example, for ##n = 1## and ##n = 2## these give ##0.922137 < 1! < 1.00227## and ##1.919004 < 2! < 2.00065##. Note that the upper bound is a very much better approximation to ##n!## than the simple Stirling formula, and is quite accurate even for ##n## as small as ##1## or ##2## (getting ever more accurate with larger ##n##).

Feller's book may be found in
    https://www.amazon.ca/Introduction-Probability-Theory-Applications-Vol/dp/0471257087

A free, on-line version is at
    https://eclass.uop.gr/modules/docum...μπληρωματικά έντυπα/FellerProbabilityVol1.pdf

Look, in particular, in Chapter II, pp. 52--54.

4. Dec 18, 2017 #3
    Thank you, but this still doesn't answer my question...

5. Dec 18, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it does. You needed an upper bound (on ##n!##) and you got one. What you do with it is up to you. It is against PF rules for a helper to solve a problem, except, possibly, to show an easier or shorter way to deal with a correct solution that has already been posted.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted