Exploring Interval of Definition for Differential Equation Solutions

In summary, the interval of definition of a solution to a differential equation is the largest interval on which it is sufficiently differentiable, which implies that it is also continuous and satisfies the given differential equation. When given an initial value problem, the interval of definition will be the largest interval containing the given values at which the solution is sufficiently differentiable.
Ali Asadullah
What is interval of definition of a solution of a Differential Equation?
How can we find the interval of definition of a differential equation?
What are the properties of this interval?
Is the solution of the DE and DE itself are continuous and differentiable on the interval?

Physics news on Phys.org
The interval of definition of a solution to a differential equation is the largest interval upon which is it "sufficiently" differentiable (a solution of a second order differential equation must be twice differentiable, etc.) from which is follows that it is continuous, and on which it satisfies the given differential equation.

I'm not sure I have ever seen the phrase "interval of definition" applied to a differential equation itself before. But I will say that it doesn't make sense to talk about the equation itself being "continuous and differentiable". I assume you mean that the functions in the differential equation are differentiable. Again, "differentiable" implies "continuous" so it isn't necessary to say that.

Dear Sir, if we are given an Initial value problem, say at x0, y=y0, then the interval of definition will be the largest interval containing the (x0,y0) on which the solution is "sufficiently differentiable. Am i right sir?

What is an Interval of Definition?

An Interval of Definition is a range of values for which a mathematical function is defined. It is the set of all possible input values that can be input into a function without resulting in an error or undefined output.

Why is an Interval of Definition important?

An Interval of Definition is important because it determines the set of values for which a function can be evaluated and used to solve problems. It also helps identify any potential errors or undefined outputs.

How is an Interval of Definition determined?

The Interval of Definition is determined by analyzing the domain of a function, which is the set of all possible input values. Any input value that results in a valid output within the function's domain is included in the Interval of Definition.

Can an Interval of Definition change?

Yes, an Interval of Definition can change depending on the specific function and its domain. If the domain of a function is altered, the Interval of Definition may also change.

What happens if an input value falls outside of the Interval of Definition?

If an input value falls outside of the Interval of Definition, the function will result in an error or undefined output. This indicates that the input value is not within the set of values for which the function is defined.