Interval ds^2 on Rotating Disk - Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of ds^2 on a rotating disk using the Minkowski metric in cylindrical coordinates and performing a coordinate transformation to a rotating frame. The problem has no completely satisfactory solution and there are various approaches and references for further study.
exmarine
What is ds^2 on a rotating disk?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? Anyways, it's a really easy calculation so try it yourself.

Take the Minkowski metric in cylindrical coordinates relative to a global inertial frame centered on the origin of the cylindrical coordinates and perform a coordinate transformation to a frame that's rotating with some angular velocity ##\omega## relative to this global inertial frame (centered on the same origin).

I must be over-complicating it then. Am trying to learn GRT from Dirac's book "General Theory of Relativity". Do you mean a Lorentz transform like in SRT?

[itex]ds^{2}=(cdt)^{2}-(dr)^{2}-(rd\theta)^{2}-dz^{2}[/itex]

All the homework links look like simpler engineering type problems? Anyway, I am stumped here.

Homework? Ha. I wish I could get to a good grad school. But I am 70 and just can't get there from here.

Thanks for any help.

Calculate the form of ##ds^2## under the following change of coordinates: ##t' = t', r' = r, z' = z,## and ##\theta' = \theta - \omega t##.

This is not a trivial problem. In fact, it has no solution that is completely satisfactory in every way. WannabeNewton's #4 gives one possibility, but it has the undesirable properties that the t' coordinate isn't properly synchronized in terms of local Einstein synchronization, and because of this the spatial part of the metric doesn't represent distances that would be measured by a rotating observer. It's also possible to correct the t' coordinate to fix these problems, but then t' can't be extended to a global coordinate chart. I've written a discussion of this here http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/ (section 8.1).

Likes 1 person
Wow, the entirety of chapter 8 is really awesome Ben. Thanks for the link!

In an older post on the subject of the rotating disk I posted some references regarding the issue(s) brought up by Ben so check them out after reading chapter 8 of Ben's book, if you're interested: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4582800&postcount=6

Likes 1 person
Yes, thanks Ben and Wannabe. I thought maybe I was going nuts. I look forward to studying your material!

1. What is the interval ds^2 on a rotating disk?

The interval ds^2 on a rotating disk is a measure of the distance between two events on the surface of a disk that is rotating at a constant rate. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the disk's rotation.

2. How does the interval ds^2 change on a rotating disk?

The interval ds^2 on a rotating disk changes because the disk's rotation causes time and space to behave differently than in non-rotating systems. This is due to the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

3. What is the significance of understanding the interval ds^2 on a rotating disk?

Understanding the interval ds^2 on a rotating disk is important for understanding the behavior of space and time in rotating systems, and for making accurate calculations and predictions in such systems. It also allows us to better understand the principles of special relativity and how they apply to different scenarios.

4. How is the interval ds^2 on a rotating disk calculated?

The interval ds^2 on a rotating disk is calculated using the metric tensor, which is a mathematical tool that describes the geometry of spacetime. The metric tensor takes into account the effects of rotation on time and space and allows us to calculate the interval ds^2.

5. What are some real-world applications of the interval ds^2 on a rotating disk?

The interval ds^2 on a rotating disk has applications in various fields, such as aerospace engineering, astrophysics, and geophysics. It is also important for understanding the behavior of gyroscopes and other rotating instruments and for making accurate measurements in such systems.