What is the Relationship Between u-Substitution and Limits on an Integral?

In summary, The process of u-substitution in integrals involves replacing the variable x with a new variable u, and then adjusting the limits of integration accordingly. This is done to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It is important to remember to substitute u for x in all parts of the integral, including the limits. This process is commonly referred to as u-substitution.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-04at44658AM.png

I understand about everything except why the b and a values on the integral change from 0,3 to 9,36

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bobsmith76! :smile:

09 dx is an abbreviation for ∫x=0x=9 dx …

now convert x to u ! :wink:

I know what it's an abbreviation for but how do you go from 0,3 to 9,36 by what rule is that legal?

bobsmith76 said:
I know what it's an abbreviation for but how do you go from 0,3 to 9,36 by what rule is that legal?

uhh? :confused:

u = x3 + 9

so x = 0 -> u = 9,

so x = 3 -> u = 36 :smile:

ok, thanks

Does this rule have a name so that I can look it up in my book? I don't see why u-substitution should be related to the a and b values on an integral.

bobsmith76 said:
Does this rule have a name so that I can look it up in my book? I don't see why u-substitution should be related to the a and b values on an integral.

I don't think it has any particular name. But if you express your final integral as a function of u, then the limits have to change to the limits for u. If you don't like that, then change the u back into x^3+9 at the end, so you've got 6π(x^3+9)^(1/2). Now use the original limits. It's exactly the same thing.

(just got up :zzz: …)
bobsmith76 said:

yes … and the name is u-substitution! :biggrin:

if you substitute u for x, you must do so wherever x occurs,

including in the the limits!

u-substitution does exactly what it says on the tin! :wink:

What is an interval on an integral?

An interval on an integral is a range of values within which the integral is being evaluated. It is represented by the limits of integration, which are usually denoted by a and b.

Why are intervals important in integrals?

Intervals are important in integrals because they determine the range over which the function is being integrated. They help to specify the boundaries for the integration process and can greatly affect the final result of the integral.

How do you find intervals on an integral?

To find intervals on an integral, you need to look at the function being integrated and determine where it is defined. The intervals are then determined by the values at which the function changes from being defined to undefined.

Can an integral have multiple intervals?

Yes, an integral can have multiple intervals. This occurs when the function being integrated has multiple points of discontinuity or when the function is defined differently in different regions.

What is the purpose of using intervals on an integral?

The purpose of using intervals on an integral is to specify the range over which the function is being integrated. This helps to ensure that the integral is evaluated correctly and that the final result is accurate.