1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interview on Friday

1. Mar 9, 2005 #1
    Ok,

Well I applied for this summer research position at my university. It's for 8 weeks and I would be investigating the structure of Antimony phosphate glasses using 31P solid state NMR. So I'll be making glass samples then analyse them by solid state NMR using J-coupling and dipole-dipole techniques.

I'll be working with other PhD students and members of the faculty.... It's my first real academic interview (I'm a 3rd year physics undergrad) and the guy in charge said that the interview would be informal.. What should I expect do you think? I think by informal he means that they just want to see how interested I am in taking part in the project.

I've spent the last few hours looking for specific information about the Antimony Phosphate and the 31P solid state NMR technique but I haven't really found anything. Most papers just simple state that the technique was used and they assume the reader is familiar with it. Does anyone know anything about this? Or where I might find such information..

Any help or tips would be very much appreciated..

Raj

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2005 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just be yourself and be enthousiastic about working for them :smile:

You might want to prepare yourself to be able to give background information about previous projects you've worked on, or things you would like to do in the future, but it really is not such a big deal.

4. Mar 9, 2005 #3
    Thanks for the comments

It's for the same depertment that I'm currently studying in so they pretty much know what I've done so far. I asked the guy what background information I'd need and all he said I only need to know the contents of the NMR course which he just so happens to be teaching.. My self and all the other applicants are taking this course so it's hard to seperate us I think.. Which is why I want to look into the particular type of research they will be conducting so that I can stand out from the competition.

5. Mar 10, 2005 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think with this type of thing it is most important to show your interest and enthousiasm. Show that you are independent and that you want to learn.

It is good that you want to read up on the literature: that way you can ask critical questions, most likely they'll give an introduction themselves on what the research will entail.

6. Mar 10, 2005 #5
    Good luck Baggio

I just heard i can start my phd...hihhaaaaaaaa

marlon

7. Mar 10, 2005 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

whohooo :biggrin:

I too want to start soon.

8. Mar 10, 2005 #7
    Thanks guys..

I've been trying to found some material on it but it's been difficult. I'll let you know how it goes ;)

9. Mar 11, 2005 #8
    Oh well,

I applied to an internship before and got an email from them... - Rejected..

Then I walked down the corridor and talked to the guy in charge of the NMR internship which I had an interview for this morning - Rejected

Rejected twice in 1 minute.. :( .. What does a guy have to do to be given an opportunity..

He said that they gave the position to someone more ENTHUSIASTIC.. The same someone who was in my group project group a couple of months ago and basically slacked off and did not meet deadlines... I think I've just been spat in the face, so insulting.

I could have gone in there and ACTED enthusiastic by being all hyper and etc but that's not my style, I'm more relaxed but they didn't see that as enthusiastic.. Lesson learned..

10. Mar 11, 2005 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Too bad.. :(

First impressions are crucial in interviews. I mentioned enthousiasm twice, I do believe it is the most important thing.

But don't feel too bad, you'll get better chances.

11. Mar 11, 2005 #10
    Yeah, I suppose you're right. I tried to be more enthusiastic but up against that guy it's really difficult...He's energetic and smiles 24/7... arggh.. It's not the actual rejection I'm dissapointed about. It's the fact that this was probably my last chance to get some good meaningfull experience in a lab before I start applying for my PhD. If I had another year in between I probably wouldn't feel that bad.. I applied to several places last year and didn't get them. Academically I don't see anything wrong with me.

I think the problem was that I didn't prepare for it properly. I was too caught up in the technical side of it, like what questions could I ask them to show that I am interested and have done some reading up on it. But at the end of the day it doesn't seem like that was very important.

Oh well

thanks for your advice though, I'll keep it in mind next time.

12. Mar 11, 2005 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So does that mean that you now have all summer to study for PhD entry exams? :wink:

13. Mar 11, 2005 #12
    Hehe, well I'm from England so I will be applying to english universities but I really want to apply to american universities as well.. I guess I can studying for the GRE's over summer

But that will be a completely different forum thread ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?