Interview questions

1. These came up for a job interview and they had to be answered relatively quickly (most of them should be answered within one minute):

How many could you answer and how quickly?

2. jcsd
  3. Wow. What kind of job was it?

4. Evo

Staff: Mentor

What kind of job was this for? How do you have a copy of the test? When I've taken employment tests, you were not allowed to take anything with you so that it can't be given out.

5. I just picked a few low hanging fruit.
    2) 3.5 because the rule that makes you stop playing has no effect on the expected value.

7) While there are input letters take an input letter and see if it is a space. If it is not a space, put it into a LIFO queue. If it is a space, then take the letters off of the LIFO queue one at a time and print them, then print the space. When there are no more letters, take the letters off of the LIFO queue one at a time and print them. Stop.

10) Spin the barrel again for a 2/3 chance of surviving. If you pull the trigger without spinning you will have a 1/2 chance of surviving.

11) 1400 is cheaper because you subtract the strike price from the sale price to determine the value.

12) This one is weird. Options sell in a market that is independent of their underlying securities. However, in general, there is some correlation to: The underlying security, the strike price and the expiration date.

6. Evo

The OP is a student, I'd be careful about giving answers.

7. FIG @ GS, memory
    Didn't ask for solutions, just wanted to discuss the aspects of getting jobs at these types of firms.

Here's some others asked at another company:

How many ridges are on a quarter?
    How many libraries are in the U.S.?
    How many traffic lights are in Manhattan?
    Rank yourself from 1-10, 10 being the best in the following 5 qualities. The total cannot be greater than 35: Intellect, teamwork, communication, finance, attitude

8. jtbell

Physicists know this kind of question as "Fermi questions," after Enrico Fermi who liked to spring them on his students. The point is not the actual question or answer, but rather the process that you use to estimate an answer, within an order of magnitude or so.

A classic Fermi question is "How many piano tuners are there in Chicago?"

9. BobG

BobG 2,333
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I wouldn't work there. I'd rather work somewhere they ask you easy questions - like, "How high can you count on your fingers and toes?" Except I'd need a slide rule to even answer that question.

Actually, some of these are easy; some I'd at least know how I wanted to start them, but would need to think about them for a few to refine my answer (the robot question, for example), and I wouldn't have a clue about #11 or #12. Plus, I couldn't answer #5, but at least I knew that immediately.

10. FIG? Does that stand for Fortress Investment Group?...

11. Astronuc

From the math, probability, economis and financial questions and terms, I'd imagine this was a financial services company.

12. Well, I wouldn't qualify, but I like the questions. #5 is interesting, for example. Best I could come up with that with a fair coin you can chose between four things A,B,C, and D. So you flip until you hit either an A, or a B or C. So it has an answer as a limit. Can it be done easier?

13. BobG

BobG 2,333
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

With enough coin flips, you could get close to 1/3 and 2/3 by merging several possible results into one category (4 heads & 3 heads out of 4 flips, for example), but it's impossible to get an exact multiple of 3 using only powers of 2.

14. Yeah, I had the same conclusion. The answer has to be a 'limit.'

15. No, just flip twice, 2 heads is A, 1 head, 1 tail is B, 0 heads is ignored.

16. That's the same answer as I gave. (Chose between A,B,C and D with chance 1/4, but try again on D. )

17. lisab

Clearly, you use the coin to buy a 2/3-headed coin.

18. What about #2? Very sloppily I came up with less than 7, but I am very unsure about it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. I googled it. One of the questions is supposedly from a Goldman Sachs interview (according to google).

20. Does #9 have a solution?

21. These are typical google/facebook interviews.

I was successfully able to answer question #6 in one of my interviews.
    while(!markerSet) {

go left;
    go left;
    go right;
    set marker;
    };
    while(!peerFound) {
    go left;
    }

for(c=each character in the string) {
    if (c == NULL || c == 'space') {
    while (!stackEmpty)) {
    print(pop(stack));
    }
    }
    if (c == NULL) {
    break;
    } else {
    push(stack, c);
    }
    }

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook