Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

InterWeb speed woes

1. Dec 28, 2005 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I've got two computers on my Linksys network, one wireless, one wired - with Sympatico High-Speed service.

I very frequently get download stoppages - where a page load will freeze for, like, 20-60 seconds. This happens several times an hour.

It is not:
    - my wireless connection (which shows 11Mbps at all times, and has a decent signal strength)
    - my DSL pipeline (I have had it checked - it's actually 3rd-party resell from Sympatico, so I'm in direct contact with them)
    - LAN traffic (only one other computer, wireless network is WEP-enabled)
    - happens on all sites (I might get the hang on site A, which I frequent, but going to Google doesn't fix the problem.)

I've been testing whether ftp and email gets tied up at the same time as my browser, but no conclusive results yet.

I've tried running a program called BitMeter, but I don't know what that's supposed to do for me - when these stoppages occur, bitmeter tells me there is no u/l or d/l occurring. Duh.

Any more ideas I can try?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2005 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your bandwidth might be totally fine, but it sounds like you're suffering packet loss. If the handshaking packets that are used to open a connection get lost en route to the server, your browser will end up waiting quite a while before deciding the connection attempt failed. Since web pages are made of potentially hundreds of individual elements (images, etc.) a loading page can be hung at any point.

Run a traceroute and see if any of your upstream routers are experiencing packet loss. It's not likely a problem on your local area network; it's much more likely that some provider upstream has an overloaded or poorly configured router.

- Warren

4. Dec 28, 2005 #3
    Does this happen on both computers? When you have this problem have verified that you still have communication with your router? ie have u tried pinging it? What type of router is it?

Chroot quite possible is on the money, but I always start as close to the PC as possible when troubleshooting these problems then work my way out..

I have been toubleshooting ISP problems all day as a matter of fact! an ISP we use at work is dropping large datagrams (MTU > 1500) which means that http requests of large tcp payloads get dropped and they have to be retransmitted.

I dont think you would see such a large lag time on an occational dropped packet it would have to be a total drop out for you to loose connection for 60 secs

5. Dec 28, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

But would this continue to happen if I
    a] refreshed the browser (requesting the page again), or
    b] tried a bunch of other website4s to see if it's just that one
    ?

After 20-60 seconds, it just starts working again.

6. Dec 28, 2005 #5
    a) if you request the page again u may still have packet loss, depending on the amount of http gets are needed in seq to furfill the request

b) if the packet loss is at a common hop on both routes u would see the same problem..

It wont be an "internet" problem it will be a problem local to you..

Take some time and answer my questions and I'll be able to help u further

7. Dec 28, 2005 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I have been trying to verify this. Every time I get hung up, I unplug my laptop power and race into the other room. But I always get my connection back before I can test it! Need more time.
    Is that the IP that I use via wired LAN to setup my access point/router? I'll try that.
    Linksys 802.11B 2.4GHz wireless.

It always freezes with "Opening page http://...", and usually (though not always) freezes *before* the browser has even changed to the new page. Sometimes, it will get as far as colouring the background with the colour of the new page, but I never have a freeze in the *middle* of a page.

8. Dec 28, 2005 #7
    So which wired or wireless can u verify that the problem is happenin on?

9. Dec 28, 2005 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is most definitely happening on my laptop (wireless). I have yet to determine if it is happening on the desktop.

10. Dec 28, 2005 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If it only happens on the wireless machine, you might want to try changing the wireless channel; this can be done through the router's configuration "webpage." It's possible you just have some interference somewhere, and the 802.11 hardware is renegotiating from time to time.

You could also use a network traffic analyzer on the affected computer to see where the hangs happen: at the start of a connection or in the middle of an established one, for instance.

- Warren

11. Dec 28, 2005 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I can definitely and promptly ping my router/access point while this is happening.

12. Dec 29, 2005 #11
    Do as Chroot says, it will be a wireless problem.. I have seen the same with numerous access points.. Especially cheaper models

13. Dec 29, 2005 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I used to get this problem when I had a 2.4GHz wireless phone. It was a hair-pulling experience. But I could always tell because my system would tell me everytime it lost connection. That is definitely not what's happening here. My wireless connection is having no trouble at all. In fact, aping to the access point itself comes back instantly.

Can you recommend any piece of (XP) s/w in particular?

14. Dec 29, 2005 #13
    Look, just because the "icon" in XP isnt showing that the wireless is disconnected mean nada!

A possible senario is that u are using the same channel as another access point near you. the two conflict and as chroot said u get interference and u loss your "connection" with the access point. The technology especially in a <$50 linksys is NOT 100%...

Use ethereal if u want to analyse traffic, you will also need to install wincap, but I dont think it will work correctly on your wifi link... from my experience anyway.

15. Dec 29, 2005 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It says 'no connection!' then 'connection good'. It is not doing that. I can ping the access point with no trouble.

Possible. Though when I scan for networks, mine is the only one that is in range.

Well, then I won't waste my time with that one.

16. Dec 29, 2005 #15
    hmmm.. can u access it via http while u have the problem?

The only one that is broadcasting its ssid, others maybe there but hidden from you

17. Dec 29, 2005 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That is http. It's just http://x.x.1.1

Not likely in this neighbourhood.

18. Dec 29, 2005 #17
    ehh?? That didnt make any sence.

The reason I asked you if you can access [your router] via http, because it tests different layers of IP.. An ICMP packet works at the Network layer HTTP works at the application layer..

Just because u can Ping the device doesnt mean you can establish a session with it..

Ohh and if you are using NAT which I suspect you are due to the "wireless" and LAN, then you will be using a Non-routable Private IP address (RFC 1918) which I cant get to anyway, due to its non-routabilty so there is no need to mask it.

ok then..

19. Dec 29, 2005 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You asked me if I can access it via http. I showed you the URL I'm using to access it, which is http. I get the configuration admin screen for my access point.

Was there some subtlety to your question that escaped me?

Yes. I was just being over-cautious (not about you, just in general).

20. Dec 29, 2005 #19
    Nope.. I was confussed at your post..

Looks like your access point is ok.. on the wireless side anyway..

21. Dec 29, 2005 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

You know, much of the delay I'm getting happens while on this board. It's possible that the board responses are slow getting to me.

But I've been checking that. Everytime I get a delay, I immediately go to Google to see if it's just this website. But no, Google still takes forever to open, as do other sites.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?