Can a Biology Graduate Succeed in a Physics Graduate Program?

• Thread starter joerog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: so you will need those upper level undergrad courses, unless you just want to do some sort of science education or whatever (not research-based).
joerog
Greetings everyone!

Without wasting any time, I would like to ask for a a piece of advice.

I graduated a couple of years ago with a bachelor in biology. Immediately, I stepped into teaching elementary or primary science at some schools. And since science isn't all about biology only, I've came across some physics topics (elementary physics topics like the gravity, electricity...). As odd and as lame as it might sound, a never felt interest gradually took over. I let this interest freely control my life, so I'd find myself reading physics books (not university level books) and browsing through the internet for physics phenomena, just as I am doing now.
Anyway, I've made a decent amount of money over the past 2 years from teaching, enough money that will allow me to comfortably pursue my graduate studies. Now initially, I looked to this interest in physics as a mere say 'hobby' just as a sales promoter would watch boxing matches, but still at times envisions himself in the ring throwing'em jabs and hooks. I actually started envisioning myself studying physics and exploring this field hungrily. Lately, I've been seriously thinking about my chances in studying physics and I'm at the verge of deciding what I should be studying.
Assuming we neglect the waste of time and money and that we neglect the possibilities of me blowing off decent opportunities I might meet if I will have continued grad studies in my current field, do you think a person with no undergraduate physics or maths knowledge, like myself, could jump into a graduate physics program and pull it off? Now I'm not talking about my chances of getting acceptance into the program as I already know the answers for that. Or, do you think I should rather take an unusual step by going back to undergrad school and start studying physics from zero?

Appreciate your opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Well, maybe.

But mostly no.

But that's doesn't mean it's impossible.

You'll want to return to school, take the physics courses (and perhaps not the whole degree), as well as any upper division math courses you may have been able to skip out on.

Then you'll want to get an EXCEPTIONAL score on your pGRE. You need to show that you're capable of even attempting their program (most require a physics B.S, but some don't. You still need the pre-reqs).

I'd highly suggest taking time to do an internship related to physics or biophysics as well, if you're wanting to g oto graduate school for physics. They not only need to know you can do the physics, but you can DO the physics.

It might be easier to get a second B.S (if you can fund it) and go that way. Or a M.S in biophysics.

joerog said:
Assuming we neglect the waste of time and money and that we neglect the possibilities of me blowing off decent opportunities I might meet if I will have continued grad studies in my current field, do you think a person with no undergraduate physics or maths knowledge, like myself, could jump into a graduate physics program and pull it off? Now I'm not talking about my chances of getting acceptance into the program as I already know the answers for that. Or, do you think I should rather take an unusual step by going back to undergrad school and start studying physics from zero?

You need an undergraduate degree in physics or a closely related physical science (i.e. physical chemistry or engineering physics) to do graduate studies in physics. So, if you want to go to graduate school, you'll have to start by getting that.

It might be worth your while to take a few night school courses at your community college to really see if this is something you want to do without quitting your day job.

joerog said:
Greetings everyone!

Without wasting any time, I would like to ask for a a piece of advice.

I graduated a couple of years ago with a bachelor in biology. Immediately, I stepped into teaching elementary or primary science at some schools. And since science isn't all about biology only, I've came across some physics topics (elementary physics topics like the gravity, electricity...). As odd and as lame as it might sound, a never felt interest gradually took over. I let this interest freely control my life, so I'd find myself reading physics books (not university level books) and browsing through the internet for physics phenomena, just as I am doing now.
Anyway, I've made a decent amount of money over the past 2 years from teaching, enough money that will allow me to comfortably pursue my graduate studies. Now initially, I looked to this interest in physics as a mere say 'hobby' just as a sales promoter would watch boxing matches, but still at times envisions himself in the ring throwing'em jabs and hooks. I actually started envisioning myself studying physics and exploring this field hungrily. Lately, I've been seriously thinking about my chances in studying physics and I'm at the verge of deciding what I should be studying.

Appreciate your opinions.
One could pursue a graduate program in biology or related field, otherwise, one would need the better part of a physics undergrad program (at least the upper level courses) before venturing into a graduate program in physics. The introductory courses prepare one for upper level undergrad courses, while the upper level courses for graduate programs. To be effective in graduate school, one needs a strong foundation from an undergrad program.

This site gives one an overview of the field - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

I am always excited to see people develop an interest in any field of science, including physics. It is a subject that can lead to many fascinating discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the world.

To answer your question, it is definitely possible for someone with no undergraduate physics or math knowledge to jump into a graduate physics program. However, it will require a lot of hard work and dedication. Physics is a complex and challenging subject, and having a strong foundation in math and basic physics concepts can make the transition easier.

That being said, if you are truly passionate about pursuing a graduate degree in physics, I would suggest taking some undergraduate physics and math courses to build a solid foundation before jumping into a graduate program. This will not only give you a better understanding of the subject matter, but it will also demonstrate your commitment and determination to the admissions committee.

Additionally, you may also want to reach out to professors or researchers in the physics department at your desired graduate school to get their advice on the best path forward for you. They may have specific recommendations or insights that can help guide your decision.

Ultimately, the decision is up to you and what you feel is the best path for your future. But with hard work and determination, I have no doubt that you can succeed in pursuing a graduate degree in physics. Best of luck to you in your journey!

1. What is "Into Physics from Nothing"?

"Into Physics from Nothing" is a concept that explores the idea of the universe and all of its physical laws arising from a state of nothingness. It is a philosophical and scientific concept that aims to understand the fundamental nature of reality.

2. How does "Into Physics from Nothing" relate to the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the beginning of the universe, but it does not address the question of what existed before the Big Bang. "Into Physics from Nothing" attempts to explore this question and understand how the universe could have emerged from a state of nothingness.

3. Is "Into Physics from Nothing" a widely accepted theory?

No, "Into Physics from Nothing" is not a widely accepted theory in the scientific community. It is a concept that is still being explored and debated among scientists and philosophers. There is currently no concrete evidence or experimental results to support this idea.

4. Can "Into Physics from Nothing" be proven?

As of now, there is no way to prove or disprove the concept of "Into Physics from Nothing". It is a theoretical idea that cannot be tested or observed. However, some scientists are conducting research and experiments to try and find evidence for this concept.

5. What are some potential implications of "Into Physics from Nothing"?

If "Into Physics from Nothing" were to be proven, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its origins. It could also challenge our current theories and models of physics and potentially lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field.