Into troubles with a mesh

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesh
In summary, a mesh is a 3-dimensional representation of an object created through interconnected points, lines, and faces. It is often used in scientific and engineering applications, but can encounter problems such as incorrect boundary conditions and poor quality elements. To improve the quality of a mesh, techniques such as mesh refinement, smoothing, and optimizing can be used. Using a poor quality mesh can result in inaccurate results and increased computational time. Troubleshooting mesh problems involves identifying the cause and potentially consulting with experts for assistance.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
AN ADVICE: "If you are not familiarized with mesh generation, don't keep on reading, you will not understand nothing and I will not make you to waste your time."

Sorry if it is not the appropiate forum for posting my problem.

I'm currently programming an elliptic mesh generator in Matlab. If someone knows about it, you have to solve a two coupled Laplace equations. I have not any problems to solve it.

The difficulties arrive when I have to cluster the lines to the internal boundary. See the drawing below:

-|---|--|---|------------ iso-eta line

-|---|--|---|------------

-|---|--|---|------------- iso-eta line
-|---|--|---|------------- iso-eta line
-|---|--|---|--------------
| | | |
iso -xi lines

As you (roughly) can see the transverse lines are iso-eta lines, and the vertical ones are iso-xi lines.

I want to cluster iso-eta lines around one named eta_o=constant.

I have proved with the next forcing function:

Q=a*sign(eta-etao)*exp(-b*abs(eta-etao))

but nothing happens, or simply the method diverges.

I will appreciate some advice, or some warning about the forcing function used. I have not had success in clustering near the internal boundary.

Any comment or web-link will be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are facing some challenges with clustering the lines in your elliptic mesh generator. As a fellow scientist, I understand the frustrations that come with solving complex equations and trying to achieve accurate results.

First of all, I want to assure you that this is indeed an appropriate forum for posting your problem. As scientists, it is important for us to seek help and advice from our peers in order to overcome obstacles and make progress in our research.

Regarding your specific problem, have you tried using a different forcing function? Sometimes, a small change in the function can make a big difference in the results. Additionally, have you checked for any errors in your code or algorithm? Sometimes, a small error can cause the method to diverge.

I would also suggest checking out some online resources or research papers on clustering techniques for elliptic mesh generation. You may find some useful tips or insights that could help you in your work.

Lastly, don't get discouraged by the challenges you are facing. As scientists, we learn and improve through trial and error. Keep exploring different approaches and don't hesitate to seek help from your colleagues or online communities. I wish you all the best in your research.

First off, I want to applaud your efforts in programming an elliptic mesh generator in Matlab. It sounds like a challenging project and I'm sure you have put a lot of time and effort into it.

As for your troubles with clustering the lines to the internal boundary, it seems like you are on the right track with using a forcing function. However, it's important to note that the success of the clustering method also depends on the quality of the mesh and the choice of parameters.

My advice would be to thoroughly review the algorithm and parameters you are using for clustering. It might also be helpful to consult with someone who has experience in mesh generation or to do some additional research on the topic.

Additionally, I would suggest reaching out to online forums or communities dedicated to mesh generation and seeking advice from experts in the field. They may be able to provide more specific guidance or point you towards helpful resources.

Remember, it's always okay to ask for help when facing difficulties, especially in a complex task like mesh generation. Don't give up and keep exploring different approaches until you find a solution that works for you. Good luck!

What is a mesh?

A mesh is a network of interconnected points, lines, and faces that create a 3-dimensional representation of an object in a computer program or simulation. It is often used in scientific and engineering applications to model physical structures and phenomena.

What can cause problems with a mesh?

There are a variety of factors that can lead to issues with a mesh, such as incorrect boundary conditions, poor quality elements, or geometric complexities. These problems can result in inaccurate simulations or errors in data analysis.

How can I improve the quality of my mesh?

To improve the quality of your mesh, you can use various techniques such as mesh refinement, smoothing, and optimizing. Mesh refinement involves dividing larger elements into smaller ones, while smoothing helps to eliminate distorted or skewed elements. Optimizing involves adjusting the mesh to better fit the geometry of the object being modeled.

What are the consequences of using a poor quality mesh?

A poor quality mesh can lead to inaccurate results, as well as increased computational time and resources. It can also make it difficult to accurately capture the behavior of the system being modeled, which can limit the usefulness of the simulation or analysis.

How can I troubleshoot mesh problems?

If you encounter problems with your mesh, it is important to first identify the cause of the issue. This can involve checking for errors in the input data, adjusting mesh settings, or using diagnostic tools to identify problematic elements. It can also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for advice and guidance.