Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intolerable Lactation

1. Jul 1, 2004 #1

LURCH

Science Advisor

A Rather Peculiar Questions Struck Me Out Of the Blue Recently; What Would Happen to a Lactose-Intolerant Woman If She Began Lactating?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2004 #2

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would not matter. Lactose intolerance is due to lack of lactase, an enzyme that degrades lactose, in the intestine. Most of the symptomes is due the fact that the microflora is producing gaz and acid from the undigested lactose.

Allergies to lactose migth be different.

4. Jul 2, 2004 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

Thanks Ian, hadn't thought about it being a digestive problem. But I wonder why allergies don't cause complications since, now that you mention it, my sister has had three children and has allergies to milk which are so severe as to be life-threatening. I guess I should just ask her, but it's not an easy topic to work into everyday conversation.

5. Jul 4, 2004 #4
    Do allergies involve substances other than proteins

Lactose is a sugar. Allergies only involve proteins:

• What are allergens?

Allergens are microscopic protein substances that are common and provoke allergic people to produce antidotes (antibodies).

The most common allergy provoking substances are:

• pollen from weeds, grass, flowers and trees
      • mould and mould fungus
      • house dust mites
      • fur from cats and dogs
      • medicines.

6. Jul 5, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If she's allergic to milk, it's most likely to casein, which is a major milk protein. But, her allergy is to a non-human form of casein (presumably her allergy is to cow's milk). Unless her immune system was really screwed up, her body would be able to recognize the difference between a foreign protein and her own protein.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?