Intracellular vs. intercellular matrix

1. My anatomy textbook keeps mentioning intracellular and intercellular matrix without defining them.

I am guessing that interceullar matrix was just the space between cells? which is suppose to be an aqueous buffer solution? but then what's intracellular matrix?

Also if I say something is 3' upstream on a strand of mRNA what does that mean?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Intracellular: Inside the cell itself
    Intercellular: Between the cells themselves.

It depends on the cells themselves what is located in the matrix though... as far as I can remember the intercellular matrix would contain various building material for the cells it holds and can be fibrous or amorphous.
    It's the same for intracellular... it depends on the cell itself and its function.

It just is indicated the direction on the piece of mRNA. It is terminology used for both RNA and DNA. Downstream is going towards the 3' end and upstream the opposite. You also have to think in terms of some strands being copied so flowing the opposite direction etc. etc.

4. thanks

but I thought Extracellular matrix was the space Between the cells themselves rather than intercellular matrix?

5. Extracellular just means what's outside the cell plasma membrane. Intercellular actually means what's between various cells. It could be like a bridge connect cells or a specific type of substance etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?