Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intraweb collapse

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What would life be like with no intraweb, may be caused by some super virus, how would the world carry on?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Prepare for Evo to scream at you.

4. Sep 5, 2008 #3
    I would die :cry:

5. Sep 5, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Nothing, since there is no Intraweb! :grumpy:

Now, the internet would be a disaster.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  6. Sep 5, 2008 #5

russ_watters

If there's no such thing as the Intraweb, how would the internet be different without it?

7. Sep 5, 2008 #6

Evo

It's a joke Russ. :biggrin: Some people mistakingly call the internet "interweb".

There I rephrased it so people that aren't regulars will understand, maybe.
    And I think Wollie meant "interweb" anyway. as an "intraweb" correctly "intranet" would not connect to the public internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interweb

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  8. Sep 5, 2008 #7
    Huh. Intraweb. Who knew...

...but seriously folks, if you've ever watched "Dark Angel" you know what would happen if a Pulse destroyed all electronics. Genetically engineered humans would be hiding from a dictatorial government in steampunk sets. Stuff like that. You really need to start watching more television lest your culture suffer.

Oh yeah, and one more thing: Jessica Alba.

9. Sep 5, 2008 #8

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interwebs.

10. Sep 5, 2008 #9

russ_watters

As was mine. :tongue2:

11. Sep 5, 2008 #10
    Chaos would occur without the interwebs.

12. Sep 5, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Its is the internet Gear not interwebs, any way i know my boss would be grumpy without up to date football results and him being grumpy would have a knock on effect.

13. Sep 5, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You don't remember? We sat around campfires, hunted for wild elephants, and watched Ed Sullivan.

14. Sep 6, 2008 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It's called the Intertubes, doncha know.

In a realistic thought experiment, our world would not tolerate the lack of intertubes for long. Our world is built on information equity. We would not find a way to make a new life; we would find a way to recreate what was.

15. Sep 6, 2008 #14
    I agree...the interwebs has been sealed upon us

16. Sep 6, 2008 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

People, people, let's not waste any more time on this. Let's just ask Al Gore what it was supposed to be.

17. Sep 6, 2008 #16
    We'd all know his answer: man-boar-pig

18. Sep 6, 2008 #17

wolram

Gold Member

The Mega amazing digital system.

19. Sep 6, 2008 #18
    Ah, the MAD system.

20. Sep 6, 2008 #19

Evo

It's really a good question Wolram. There is an entire generation that has grown up with the internet. Us old folk remember when there was no internet, so while it would be a difficult lifestyle adjustment (ok, if I couldn't get on PF I would have to be sedated), I can't imagine the effects it would have on some of the younger generation that depend so heavily on it.

The internet is a wonderful way for the severly handicapped to be able to talk with and make friends with people. I remember years ago when I used Cornell's CU-SeeMe reflector that one of the regulars was a quadraplegic that typed with a stick he held in his mouth while lying on his stomach in bed. The INTERNET has really opened up the world for people.

21. Sep 6, 2008 #20
    I see what you did there

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?