Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intrested in Antimatter

1. Aug 20, 2004 #1
    I have always been intrested in Antimatter. Wherever I go to find information I never get a definite answer. Please end my search. I'll be happy even with the most dry facts.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to physicsforums, RisingPhoenix.

We'll definitely give you a definite answer for any question you have here. Go ahead and ask away!

- Warren
  4. Aug 20, 2004 #3
    this site has a lot of good info. It doesnt focus on antimatter exackly, but it explains what it is: http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/
  5. Aug 20, 2004 #4

Gold Member

From dictionary.com:

A hypothetical form of matter that is identical to physical matter except that its atoms are composed of antielectrons, antiprotons, and antineutrons.

And that they also have opposite charge. What's important is that when they meet, they collide and turn into 100% energy.

If we replaced all particles with antiparticles, then the universe would be completely the same, IIRC...
  6. Aug 21, 2004 #5
    Alrite, I'll try to give a general summary of antimatter. Antimatter is composed of antipatricles...positron, antiproton, and antineutron. The only difference between the antiparticles and their normal counterpart is the net charge, everything else is the same...for example, their mass, the propagation of light and sound and gravity, ect (hence why Simfishy said the universe would be completely the same if all the patricles would be replaced by their antipatricles). As we all know, an electon has a negative charge, a proton has a positive charge and the neutron is neutral (neutron...neutral, makes sense!! :rofl:). The positron therefore has a positive charge, the antiproton has a negative charge and the antineutron is --drum role-- neutral!! You might think in that case that the neutron and antineutron are the same thing, but in fact they arent. Neutrons/antineutrons and protons/antiprotons are made of quarks/antiquarks. A proton is made of 2 up quarks and 1 down quark (uud), while a neutron is made of 1 up quark and 2 down quarks (udd). The up quark has a charge of +2/3, the down quark has a charge of -1/3. The anti-up quark therefore has a charge of -2/3 and the anti-down quark has a charge of +1/3.

Proton = (uud) = 2/3 + 2/3 - 1/3 = +1
    Neutron = (udd) = 2/3 - 1/3 - 1/3 = 0
    antiproton = (anti-u, anti-u, anti-d) = -2/3 - 2/3 + 1/3 = -1
    antineutron = (anti-u, anti-d, anti-d) = -2/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 0

Anways, I hope that helps you understand antimatter better. If you have any questions, just ask.

BTW, I see "IIRC" a lot, can anyone tell me what that means??
  7. Aug 21, 2004 #6
    check the 'common physics acronym' thread.
  8. Aug 21, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC = "If I Remember Correctly" or "If I Recall Correctly"

- Warren
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?