Intrinsic angular momentum of Dirac field

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the exercise for intrinsic angular momentum of quantized Dirac field, specifically the calculation of the operator S_3. The last line of the exercise involves terms that may seem to vanish, but this is not necessarily the case due to the non-commuting nature of the operators b and d. The person is advised to carefully review their calculations and seek guidance if needed.
jys34
(I'm sorry about my pool English..)

I have a question about some exercise for intrinsic angular momentum part of quantized Dirac field.

[tex]S_3 = \frac{1}{2}\int d^3 x :\Psi^\dagger \Sigma_3 \Psi : [/tex]

[tex]\Psi = \int \frac{d^3 k}{\left ( 2\pi \right )^3} \frac{m}{k_0}
\left ( b_\alpha \left ( k \right ) u^\alpha\left ( k \right ) e^{-ikx} + d_\alpha ^\dagger \left ( k \right ) v^\alpha\left ( k \right )e^{ikx} \right ) [/tex]

[tex]S_3 = \frac{1}{2}\int \frac{d^3 x d^3 k d^3 q}{\left ( 2\pi \right )^6} \frac{m^2}{k_0 q_0} : \left ( b^\dagger _{\alpha k} u^\dagger _{\alpha k} e^{ikx} + d_{\alpha k} v^\dagger_{\alpha k} e^{-ikx} \right ) \Sigma_3 \left ( b_{\beta q} u_{\beta q} e^{-iqx} + d^\dagger _{\beta q} v_{\beta q} e^{iqx} \right ) : [/tex]

[tex]S_3 = \frac{1}{2}\int \frac{d^3 k}{\left ( 2\pi \right )^3} \frac{m^2}{k_0 ^2 }\left ( b^\dagger _{\alpha k} b_{\beta k} u^\dagger _{\alpha k} \Sigma_3 u_{\beta k} + b^\dagger _{\alpha k} d^\dagger _{\beta\left ( -k \right )} u^\dagger _{\alpha k} \Sigma_3 v_{\beta \left ( -k \right )} + d_{\alpha k} b_{\beta \left ( -k \right )} v^\dagger_{\alpha k} \Sigma_3 u_{\beta \left ( -k \right )} - d^\dagger _{\beta k} d_{\alpha k} v^\dagger_{\alpha k} \Sigma_3 v_{\beta k}\right )[/tex]

In the last line, second term and third term seems to vanish, like U(1) Noether Charge calculation.

However, I had some calculations, they aren't zero, generally.

What is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, there is no need to apologize for your English. Science is a universal language and as long as we can understand each other, it doesn't matter if it's not perfect.

Regarding your question about the exercise for intrinsic angular momentum of quantized Dirac field, it is important to note that the second and third terms in the last line do not necessarily have to vanish. This is because the operators b and d, which represent the creation and annihilation of particles and antiparticles, respectively, do not commute with each other. Therefore, the order in which they appear in the expression matters and can affect the final result.

I suggest carefully reviewing your calculations to ensure that you are taking into account the correct ordering of these operators. Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or professor for further guidance and clarification.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best in your research. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field?

The intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field, also known as spin, is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic rotation. It is a quantum mechanical property that is inherent to all particles, including the Dirac field.

2. How is the intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field measured?

The intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field is measured using a mathematical quantity called spin angular momentum. This is a quantum mechanical operator that acts on the wave function of the Dirac field and gives the value of spin as an eigenvalue.

3. What is the significance of the intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field?

The intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field is significant because it is a fundamental property of particles that has many implications in the field of quantum mechanics. It is responsible for the stability of matter and is also a crucial factor in determining the properties of particles, such as their magnetic moment.

4. How does the intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field differ from orbital angular momentum?

The intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field is a property of particles themselves, while orbital angular momentum is a property of their motion around a central point. Additionally, the intrinsic angular momentum has discrete values, while orbital angular momentum can have continuous values.

5. Can the intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field be changed or manipulated?

No, the intrinsic angular momentum of the Dirac field is a fundamental property of particles and cannot be changed or manipulated. It is a fixed value for each type of particle and is unaffected by external factors.