Intrinsic critical points of a function .

In summary, using the Lagrange multipliers technique, we can find all the intrinsic critical points of the function $f(x_1,x_2,x_3)=x_1^3+2x_1x_2x_3-x_3^2$ on the unit sphere by solving for the points where the gradient of the function is equal to a multiple of the constraint. This gives us a total of ten critical points, including the unit vectors along the coordinate axes and $(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})$.
Saint Medici
Intrinsic critical points of a function...

I have a problem that's giving me a bit of trouble. The solution is not vital to my existence, but it's been eluding me long enough that it's grown to be a pest. I've figured out the easy part by hand, and I have the less obvious solutions by way of TI-89, but I'd like to know a way to get there without computer assistance. Anyway:

Find all the intrinsic critical points of [tex]f(x)=x_1^3+2x_1x_2x_3-x_3^2[/tex] on the unit sphere.

Of the ten, I've found six, namely, all the unit vectors along the coordinate axes. We've been using the Lagrange formulation quite a bit, so I assume that's what we're to use here. Anyway, any insight would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to this problem requires using the Lagrange multipliers technique. First, we need to calculate the gradient of the function, which is given by: $\nabla f(x_1,x_2,x_3)=(3x_1^2+2x_2x_3,2x_1x_3,2x_1x_2-2x_3)$. We then need to impose the constraint that the point lies on the unit sphere, which can be expressed as $x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^2=1$. To solve for the critical points, we use the Lagrange multipliers technique, setting up the equation: $\nabla f(x_1,x_2,x_3) + \lambda (2x_1,2x_2,2x_3)=0$This equation can be solved for the critical points, which are all the unit vectors along the coordinate axes and $(\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{3}})$.

Intrinsic critical points of a function refer to points where the gradient of the function is equal to zero. In other words, these are the points where the function is neither increasing nor decreasing in any direction. In this case, the function f(x) is defined on the unit sphere, which means that all the points (x_1, x_2, x_3) that satisfy the equation x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2 = 1 are considered.

To find the intrinsic critical points of f(x), we need to first calculate the gradient of the function. The gradient of a multivariable function is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of the function at a given point. In this case, the gradient of f(x) is given by:

∇f(x) = (3x_1^2 + 2x_2x_3, 2x_1x_3, 2x_1x_2 - 2x_3)

Next, we set the gradient equal to zero and solve for the variables x_1, x_2, and x_3. This will give us the coordinates of the intrinsic critical points of f(x). In this case, we have:

3x_1^2 + 2x_2x_3 = 0
2x_1x_3 = 0
2x_1x_2 - 2x_3 = 0

From the second equation, we can see that either x_1 or x_3 must be equal to zero. Plugging this into the first and third equations, we get two possible solutions:

1) x_1 = 0, x_2 = 0, x_3 = ±1
2) x_1 = ±√(2/3), x_2 = 0, x_3 = ±√(1/3)

These solutions represent the intrinsic critical points of f(x) on the unit sphere. These points correspond to the unit vectors along the coordinate axes, as you have already found. So, your six solutions are correct.

In summary, to find the intrinsic critical points of a function, we need to calculate the gradient and set it equal to zero. Solving for the variables will give us the coordinates of the critical points. In this case, we found two sets of solutions

What is an intrinsic critical point of a function?

An intrinsic critical point of a function is a point where the function's derivative is equal to zero and its second derivative is also equal to zero. This means that the function has a local extremum at that point.

How is an intrinsic critical point different from an extrinsic critical point?

An extrinsic critical point is a point where the function's derivative is equal to zero, but its second derivative is nonzero. This means that the function has a horizontal tangent at that point, but it may not be a local extremum.

Can a function have multiple intrinsic critical points?

Yes, a function can have multiple intrinsic critical points. This can occur when the function has multiple local extrema or when there is a point where the function's derivative is zero but its second derivative is undefined.

How can intrinsic critical points be used to analyze a function?

Intrinsic critical points can be used to determine the local extrema and inflection points of a function. They can also be used to sketch the graph of a function and analyze its behavior.

What is the relationship between intrinsic critical points and the concavity of a function?

The concavity of a function changes at intrinsic critical points. If the second derivative of a function is positive at an intrinsic critical point, the function is concave up at that point. If the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down at that point. If the second derivative is zero, the concavity of the function cannot be determined at that point.