Exploring Intrinsic Curvature in Different Dimensions

• Thread starter matheinste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curvature
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intrinsic curvature in different dimensions. It is clarified that a two-dimensional surface, such as a sphere, can have intrinsic curvature without referring to a third dimension. The question is then raised if a one-dimensional space, like a line, can have intrinsic curvature. It is explained that all one-dimensional manifolds are homeomorphic to a line or circle and that the only diffeomorphism-invariant properties of a one-dimensional Riemann manifold are its shape and length. The idea of measuring curvature on a line is also discussed, with the conclusion that curvature is a two-dimensional concept and may not be derived from the metric for a curve.
matheinste
Hello all.

I understand that a two dimensional surface can have curvature without it being referred to a higher dimension. So that a surface such as that of a sphere does not need to refer to a third dimension to determine its own intrinsic curvature and so on for higher dimensions.

Can a one dimensional space/surface such as a line have intrinsic curvature.

Matheinste.

Physics news on Phys.org
matheinste said:
Hello all.

I understand that a two dimensional surface can have curvature without it being referred to a higher dimension. So that a surface such as that of a sphere does not need to refer to a third dimension to determine its own intrinsic curvature and so on for higher dimensions.

Matheinste.
All one-dimensional manifolds are homeomorphic to a line or to the circle*.

Let's start with the line with a Riemann metric. You can choose a base-point and a direction, parametrize the line by directed arclength. Making the change-of-coordinates to use arclength as a coordinate, the metric is the constant tensor field ds ds. Therefore, all Riemann lines are isometric to a (possibly infinite) open interval in R.

For the circle, I believe the exact same idea shows that all Riemann circles are isometric to a circle in R².

In other words, the only diffeomorphism-invariant properties of a one-dimensional Riemann manifold are
1. Whether it's a line or a circle
2. Its length
and if it's an infinite line,
3. Whether it's infinite on both ends, or just one end

* There's also the long ray and the long line, depending on your exact technical assumptions, but let's ignore those.

Last edited:
Thankyou for your reply.

I have digested what you said and understand it.

My non rigorous train of thought was that i believe given a surface/2 dimensional manifold we can decide if it is curved by drawing a circle and measuring its diameter and its circumference, all measurements being taken upon the surface, and comparing the ratio with pi.

Is there a test of this nature for a line.

Matheinste.

matheinste said:
Hello all.

Matheinste.

curvature is a two dimensional concept - curvature for curves is an extrinsic idea and may not be derived from the metric. There is no idea of intrinsic curvature for a curve

Hello wofsy.

That's what i thought but was not sure of.

Thanks.

Matheinste.

#1: What is intrinsic curvature?

Intrinsic curvature is a measure of the curvature of a surface or space that is independent of any embedding into a higher-dimensional space. It is a fundamental property of a space that is not affected by how it is viewed or represented.

#2: How is intrinsic curvature different from extrinsic curvature?

Intrinsic curvature is a property of a space itself, whereas extrinsic curvature is a property of how a space is embedded in a higher-dimensional space. Intrinsic curvature is independent of any embedding, while extrinsic curvature is not.

#3: What are some examples of spaces with intrinsic curvature?

Some examples of spaces with intrinsic curvature include spheres, cylinders, and tori. These objects have a constant intrinsic curvature, while other objects, such as a flat plane, have zero intrinsic curvature.

#4: How is intrinsic curvature related to the curvature tensor?

The curvature tensor is a mathematical object that describes the intrinsic curvature of a space. It contains information about how the space is curved at different points and in different directions.

#5: Can intrinsic curvature be measured?

Yes, intrinsic curvature can be measured using mathematical tools such as the curvature tensor, or by using physical measurements such as the circumference of a circle on a curved surface. However, intrinsic curvature is a mathematical concept and cannot be directly observed or measured in physical space.