1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Intro Circuits] Simple problem, need help finding initial

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two independent sources are given. They are active at different times.

Find the conditions at t = 0- DCSS (aka t < 0 DCSS) and t = ∞ DCSS for IL and Vc

U9nbJ1X.jpg

2. Relevant equations

At DCSS, replace inductor with short circuit
    At DCSS, replace capacitor with open circuit

3. The attempt at a solution

So I need to find the initial and final conditions.

Let's start with initial conditions at t = 0- DCSS. The [2 + 5u(t)]V becomes 2 V. The 4u(t) I am not 100% sure about, but I think it becomes a short circuit. Then I replace the inductor and capacitor with a short and open circuit respectively because it is in DCSS.

Is this correct? The switches at 2 + 5u(t) and 4u(t) are giving me a bit of a problem understanding and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

As for the final conditions at t = ∞, I have no clue where to start.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think you're almost there. Before the "t = 0" event where the 5u(t) and 4u(t) sources switch on, the leftmost voltage source will have been producing 2 V since time began, and the rightmost source will have been producing 0 V (your short circuit) for all that time. So you have to find the steady state conditions for (let's call them) V1 = 2 V and V2 = 0 V.

Do the open capacitor / short inductor analysis and find the voltages and currents.

When t = 0 arrives V1 suddenly becomes 2 V + 5 V = 7 V. V2 becomes 4 V. They stay that way from then on, so to the steady state analysis again with these new sources in place in order to find the conditions at t → ∞.

4. Dec 6, 2015 #3
    Ok thanks, so for the t = 0- DCSS, the 2+5u(t) becomes 2v and the 4u(t) becomes a short.

Now for the t = ∞, the 2+5u(t) becomes 7V and the 4u(t) becomes 4V? I was thinking that the 2+5u(t) becomes 2V and the 4u(t) becomes 4V

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4

gneill

u(t) is a unit step function. It's zero for all times before t=0, then 1 for all times t > 0.

So once the u(t)'s have turned on, they stay on.

6. Dec 6, 2015 #5
    Ahhh I see.

So just to confirm... At both t = 0 and t = ∞, the left side is 7V and the right side is 4V.

That makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking.

7. Dec 6, 2015 #6

gneill

Yup. To be specific, for all time up to and including t = 0- the left side is 2 V and the right is 0 V. At t = 0+ the left side becomes 7 V and the right side 4 V and they stay that way indefinitely.

8. Dec 6, 2015 #7
    ok I think I got the final answers. Mind checking if I did them right. I was a bit confused on the open circuit at VC, so I wanted to make sure it's correct.

At DCSS, replace inductor with short circuit
    At DCSS, replace capacitor with open circuit

For t = 0- DCSS, I got IL = 0A and VC = 2V

For t = ∞ DCSS, I got IL = -4A and VC = 11V

9. Dec 6, 2015 #8

gneill

Looks good except for your Vc at t = ∞. The top end of the resistor should be at 4 V, the left end of the cap at 7V. I don't see an 11 V difference there...

10. Dec 6, 2015 #9
    Hmm, I must have done a sign error or something, this is the work I did for it

iitbqhi.jpg

I first found IL which was -4 A. Then I did KVL on the left side which I found to be -VC + 7V - V1 = 0. I subsituted V1 to be (-4 A)*(1 ohm) and solved for the rest. Ended up with 11V.

11. Dec 6, 2015 #10

donpacino

Gold Member

-VC + 7V - V1 = 0.

that's your problem. take another look at that equation

12. Dec 6, 2015 #11

gneill

Look at the circuit. The capacitor is an open so the only current path is for the 4V supply through the resistor. As you say, IL is -4 A, so it's flowing down through the resistor leaving +4 V at its top end. That's the right side of the cap. The left side of the cap is fixed at +7V.

13. Dec 6, 2015 #12
    -VC + 7V + V1 = 0.

VC = 3 V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted