1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro electric field question

1. Jun 25, 2006 #1
    I am just reviewing some E&M because i took the class before I ever thought i had that big of an interest in physics and just memorized formulas, etc. Anyway, this is from a "which of the following statements is true" question.

The true statement is: A positive charge experiences an attractive electrostatic force near a neutral conductor.

The alternatives were that it experiences a repulsive force, no force, ...

How come the true statement is indeed true as opposed to a positive charge experiencing no electrostatic force near a neutral conductor?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2
    Charge redistributes itself on the surface of the conductor in response to the presence of the charge. Negative charges are brought close to the positive charge, resulting in a net attraction.
  4. Jun 26, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

Is that true? I wouldn't have expected that "true statement". That would mean that an isolated charge (like an electron) is attracted to neutral atoms.... I didn't know that was true...
  5. Jun 26, 2006 #4
    There must be a redistribution of charge if the surface of the conductor is to remain an equipotential. This induced polarization results in a potential that goes as 1/r4 (the usual dipole goes as 1/r2, plus an extra 1/r2 to account for the decreasing strength of the induced dipole with distance). This does have an analog in atomic/molecular interactions, often referred to as charge-induced dipole forces.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?