Understanding the Attractive Force of a Positive Charge Near a Neutral Conductor

In summary, the true statement is that a positive charge experiences an attractive electrostatic force near a neutral conductor due to the redistribution of charge on the conductor's surface in response to the presence of the charge. This is because negative charges are brought close to the positive charge, resulting in a net attraction. This is also analogous to charge-induced dipole forces in atomic/molecular interactions.
dzza
I am just reviewing some E&M because i took the class before I ever thought i had that big of an interest in physics and just memorized formulas, etc. Anyway, this is from a "which of the following statements is true" question.

The true statement is: A positive charge experiences an attractive electrostatic force near a neutral conductor.

The alternatives were that it experiences a repulsive force, no force, ...

How come the true statement is indeed true as opposed to a positive charge experiencing no electrostatic force near a neutral conductor?

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge redistributes itself on the surface of the conductor in response to the presence of the charge. Negative charges are brought close to the positive charge, resulting in a net attraction.

dzza said:
The true statement is: A positive charge experiences an attractive electrostatic force near a neutral conductor.
Is that true? I wouldn't have expected that "true statement". That would mean that an isolated charge (like an electron) is attracted to neutral atoms... I didn't know that was true...

There must be a redistribution of charge if the surface of the conductor is to remain an equipotential. This induced polarization results in a potential that goes as 1/r4 (the usual dipole goes as 1/r2, plus an extra 1/r2 to account for the decreasing strength of the induced dipole with distance). This does have an analog in atomic/molecular interactions, often referred to as charge-induced dipole forces.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric forces on charged particles. It is represented by a vector that points in the direction of the force that would be experienced by a positively charged particle placed in the field.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a source charge, such as an electron or a proton. When a charged particle is present, it creates an electric field around it that can exert a force on other charged particles. The strength of the field depends on the magnitude of the charge and the distance from the source.

3. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This represents the amount of force that a unit test charge would experience at a specific point in the field. The greater the electric field strength, the more force is exerted on a charged particle in that area.

4. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

While an electric field describes the strength and direction of the force on a charged particle, electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a particular point in the field. In simpler terms, electric potential measures the amount of work needed to move a charged particle to a specific point in the electric field.

5. How can we use electric fields in practical applications?

Electric fields have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and controlling the movement of charged particles in medical equipment. They are also used in technologies such as capacitors, transformers, and electric motors.