Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Graph Theory: Components Connectivity

1. Dec 4, 2003 #1
    Hello,

I am having trouble understanding the definition of components and connectivity. Here is the definition I have been given in my text:

Alright, I know that a subgraph is a subset of vertices and edges which itself forms a graph. I also know that a path is a subgraph in which no edge or vertex is repeated except for perhaps the first and last vertex.

Could someone perhaps reword the above definition of components and connectivity or provide a better definition of components and connectivity for me please? Thankyou.

I also have another question regarding paths. I know that perhaps the first and last vertex may be repeated, but does that mean that a subgraph is still a path if both the last and first vertex are repeated? Or that if a subgraph is still a path if either the first or last vertex is repeated? Or can both situations occur?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2003 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?